• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

For several versions now, Photoshop seems to lose GPU acceleration while working on a photo..Why?

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
So first I thought my previous install was bad or something but after I upgraded to my new build with a completely different CPU and GPUs this annoying thing still happens.
For instance, zooming where I can hold CTRL+left click and drag, stops working and does like a select zoom stuff. And you can tell things begin to get choppier at that point.
Anyone has an idea why? This began several versions ago but like I said, first I thought it was just my PC or Windows or Photoshop install.
I am running 5950x with  RTX 3080 on Windows 10.
Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please ensure you have all available Windows updates along with the latest drivers for our graphics card installed on the computer. You can try optimizing the preferences of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all the updates for Windows and GPU (I am a PC tech with many years of experience). This is a 5950x with an RTX 3080...cant get much faster than this. 
It was working fine with the 9900k and 1080ti until at some point new updates began to create that issue. Which are still happening on my new computer. 
Very annoying having to close it and open it again so that GPU acceleration works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using NVidia's Studio drivers? They are released less frequently than the game ready drivers but are better tested with applications such as Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Dave. I use Studio Drivers since while I do some gaming, the primary usage of my PC is Photoshop so I prefer the Studio Drivers for that reason.
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why = because Adobe sniffer software only looks for a very small number of Gpu \ drivers and also tends to just fail outright... most the time shutting down Photoshop and reopen it will get the Gpu detected on the 2nd try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah mine detects normally on first restart but is so stupid that it is working fine and midway through the editing it loses it..Adobe come on now...report this and get this fixed ASAP, please. 
This is not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same. And Camera Raw doesn't work at all with SLI systems. Screen is flickering like hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insane that they cant get this working 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you report this very issue (with a video capture?)  on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a fix for this? I have a similar setup (3080, 5800x) and I'm getting a screen flicker and just general not stellar performance when working in Camera RAW on .NEF files out of a Nikon D850. I've tried both the studio drivers and game drivers from Nvidia and there is no discernible difference. I am on the latest update for Windows as well as for Photoshop and Camera RAW.

The only way I can get the screen flicker to go away is if I turn off GPU acceleration, but even then it performs worse than with GPU acceleration on, the only benefit being the screen flicker is no longer there. For the time being I've just been sort of putting up with it. When I upgraded my rig I expected much better performance in Photoshop than what I'm currently getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can get the screen flicker to go away is if I turn off GPU acceleration

By @default1337

Well, then, so you have identified where the problem is: the video driver.

If this is a laptop, there are often so many manufacturer modifications that it's much harder to fix. They often have "helpful" hard-wired functions like adjusting screen brightness according to actual screen content. That's a recipe for uncontrolled flickering in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a laptop, fwiw. I'm confident it's the video driver and I'm chalking it up that the card is still relatively new and an improved driver will eventually be released. Still, it's frustrating. I'm coming from a GTX 1080/6700k and Camera RAW worked fine with no flickering or performance issues when working on the same sized .NEFs as I am now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not experienced it since the latest photoshop update and nvidia driver update so knock on wood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to hear that. Are you overclocking your CPU or GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am ocing my 5950x with PBO+CO .
For reference i get about 11600 multi and 642-646 sc in Cinebench rep.
The 3080x strix is slightly oced (from the already oced default). My ram
is oced to 3666 C14 (stock 3200c14)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might try and OC and see if that fixes anything. Kinda doubt it will but time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Luis5FD2  what symptoms did you system have? flickering, or just slowness/disabling of acceleration? I am wondering other users in this thread have slightly different issues, and should create /post in another thread, or better, on feedback. @default1337 do you also have the GPU acceleration that self-disables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this my GTX3080 is not used for acceleration in photoshop. Its detected, but photoshop uses CPU insted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine stopped having that issue many versions ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems with an RTX 3090 here. What makes you think your GPU is not used? Do you have GPU functionality such as scrubby zoom?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scrubby zoom works, but none of the supported filters are accelerated as
GPU sits at 0% utilisation and CPU spikes. It's obvious because they are
quite slow to compare when they were accelerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not all functions benefit from using the GPU, and so they don't use it. And others may not yet be coded to use it.

As long as GPU specific functions work, your GPU is used as it should.

If you have slowdowns, it's for other reasons. Then we need more system info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines