Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be my biggest beef with photoshop:

1- open a png

2- add a new layer

3- make some small touch up to the png

4- ctrl+s

5- rather than saving the png, it opens a dialog suggesting I should save it as a psd instead, in a completely different folder than where the png is stored. I have to change the file type to png and navigate to the right folder then double-click on the existing file and say yes replace to save it.

If I do Layer > Flatten Image first, then ctrl+s will save the png as I want. I wish this was the default behavior for ctrl+s or that there was another hotkey to do it. I know how to save-as a psd and I would do that if I wanted to preserve the layers.

I'm tempted to replace ctrl+s with a script that does flatten image, save, undo. Is there a more built-in way to accomplish this? Does it bug anyone else? After two decades of using Photoshop it still feels unintuitive to have it open save-as-psd instead of just saving the file in the original format when I hit ctrl+s.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Force-flatten png/jpg when saving after adding a new layer

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be my biggest beef with photoshop:

1- open a png

2- add a new layer

3- make some small touch up to the png

4- ctrl+s

5- rather than saving the png, it opens a dialog suggesting I should save it as a psd instead, in a completely different folder than where the png is stored. I have to change the file type to png and navigate to the right folder then double-click on the existing file and say yes replace to save it.

If I do Layer > Flatten Image first, then ctrl+s will save the png as I want. I wish this was the default behavior for ctrl+s or that there was another hotkey to do it. I know how to save-as a psd and I would do that if I wanted to preserve the layers.

I'm tempted to replace ctrl+s with a script that does flatten image, save, undo. Is there a more built-in way to accomplish this? Does it bug anyone else? After two decades of using Photoshop it still feels unintuitive to have it open save-as-psd instead of just saving the file in the original format when I hit ctrl+s.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 07, 2020 0

Have something to add?