• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forensic Case: How to generate a virtual X-ray with Photoshop?

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice the image below:

Front View to be Subjected to Virtual X-RaysFront View to be Subjected to Virtual X-Rays

It is a virtual cranium with injuries (done in Autodesk 3ds Max) and I would like to to use Photoshop in order to generate X-rays as similar as possible to the ones from the real patient's autopsy:

Kennedy Anterior/Posterior X-Ray from AutopsyKennedy Anterior/Posterior X-Ray from Autopsy

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera

[Personal information is not allowed and was removed by moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Import it to Photoshop.

Unless the density has been mapped you will not get a true X-Ray. All you will get is a simulated effect based on making the model translucent and assigning a density to it.

For the materials set Glow 0 , Metallic 0%, Roughness 0% Opacity 100% Refraction 1.0 , Density (You will need to play with this) , Translucence 100%

Set the infinite light to shine from behind the object (at very high intensity ) and the camera to orthographic.

Then put an invert adjustment layer abo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's elaborate. I am convinced that taking the screenshot from 3ds Max as seen above directly to Photoshop is a poor workflow. The problem is that the frontal osseous material completely obscures the posterior one.

I don't know about the internals of 3ds Max transparency implementation but I hope (Autodesk folks: consider this a feature request) that two layers of bone would be denser than a single layer.

The current virtual cranium has uniform bone thickness. Future versions will be more realistic, incorporating varying thickness:

(a) Provided by mother nature

(b) Provided by the projectile.

TIA,

-Ramon F. Herrera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import it to Photoshop.

Unless the density has been mapped you will not get a true X-Ray. All you will get is a simulated effect based on making the model translucent and assigning a density to it.

For the materials set Glow 0 , Metallic 0%, Roughness 0% Opacity 100% Refraction 1.0 , Density (You will need to play with this) , Translucence 100%

Set the infinite light to shine from behind the object (at very high intensity ) and the camera to orthographic.

Then put an invert adjustment layer above the 3D layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[davescm:] "For the materials set Glow 0 , Metallic 0%, Roughness 0% Opacity 100% Refraction 1.0 , Density (You will need to play with this) , Translucence 100%"

To be sure, are those Photoshop settings? The reason I ask is because I am somewhat familiar with 3ds Max (and related apps: Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender, etc.). They have parameters like those above: metallic, etc.

Thanks!

-Ramon F. Herrera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes they are settings in the Photoshop 3D properties

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines