Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frequency separation Tone layer not working- gaussian blur turns grey or darker

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I'm new to frequency separation and am using it to retouch some portraits. I follow the basic steps for a 16-bit photo, and it all works.

When I select the first TONE layer, I can do the lasso to gaussian blur at a radius of 5, and it only goes grey. I can use the texture layer, but then, of course, I lose the texture and the purpose of the tone layer. I can't use any other tool on the bottom layer. It's as if it shuts off?

I've reset the tools, reset the preferences, uninstalled and reinstalled, and nothing changes my outcome. 

I must be missing a step. Please help if you've navigated this problem before. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you also post screenshot with Layers panel visible so we can understand better what is the problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 12.50.53 PM.jpg

If I apply the lasso and then filter to gaussian blur- instead of blurring it only darkens and then eventually turns desaturated grey. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diana,

Have you found a solution? I'm having the same issue now and can't find the problem. Went through so many requests by others experiencing the same and looks like noone got a good suggestion for the solution. Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried the frequency separation on the entire image and not just a portion?

I personally have only seen cases of user error, not program error when performing this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines