May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fugetaboutit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

That means that your primary scratch disk is operating with asynchronous l/O, which is a good thing, since use of asynchronous file handling will improve performance of both file reading and writing as well as Photoshop scratch disk usage.

In photoshop under Help>System Info several lines below the License Type it should say

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Screenshot-(111).png

(some of the above is quoted from older photoshop Read Me)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What counts is, you're puttng everything into RAM for fastest operation. Lower, not better. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would and will count when I get it is an on-topic answer. This is not a chat line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means that your primary scratch disk is operating with asynchronous l/O, which is a good thing, since use of asynchronous file handling will improve performance of both file reading and writing as well as Photoshop scratch disk usage.

In photoshop under Help>System Info several lines below the License Type it should say

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Screenshot-(111).png

(some of the above is quoted from older photoshop Read Me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this via a Google search before I posted, but thought it irrelevant or at least not positive as it's 12 years old:

"Back in Photoshop 7 there was a plug-in called "Enable Async I/O" which made disk operations (for writing to and reading from the scratch disk, and maybe with your files) faster. When you had that plug-in enabled (which it was by default), you saw an asterisk next to the efficiency percentage."

As you see, it refers to a plug-in being enabled instigating the asterisk, is that a user controlled setting? What is your re that the asterisk is new, what made it appear? I did confirm the asych I/O in SysInfo, thank you for that detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't give a link to the file since it's from photoshop 3.0.5 and it's quoted accurately.

The plugin you refer to is for older photosop versions on Macintosh, since windows photoshop versions of the same vintage used Registry settings to enable/disable async I/O.

Photoshop versions since CC 2014.1 use a PSUserConfig.txt in the relevant photoshop preferences folder

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html#disable_asynch_io

I don't have the "Adobe User Diagnostics" plug-in installed and have the asterisk next to the efficiency percentage in photoshop 2021 (22.4.1) as well in older versions of photoshop on the same windows 10 install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of the Read Me from photoshop 3.0.5 on a mac from which i quoted earlier

Screenshot-(113).png

The About Enable Async I/O from photoshop cs3 mac, the last mac version to include such a document about Async I/O

cs3readneasy.png

From the windows photoshop cs3 Optional Plugins>Extensions>Registry Keys document, the last windows photoshop version to provide such a document and include the keys.

Screenshot-(112).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all that, it's not helpful in the least.

It was a simple question: WHY do I have an asterisk next to my efficiency NOW. WHY, NOW? An answer would speak to what CHANGED. Thanks very much for your time anyway, enough already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bring to mind a quote from G.B. Shaw: "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

I wiped out my original post, changing it to just, "fugetaboutit" because of answers like yours and the two that were off topic, that demontrate a rush to share information that DOES NOT apply to the issue at hand.

Honest effort and some work on your part, so thanks and all that, but the question is, why do I see an asterisk NOW but not before. Not what does the asterisk mean. Please do NOT answer, just fugetaboutit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Beachcolonist wrote:

Honest effort and some work on your part, so thanks and all that, but the question is, why do I see an asterisk NOW but not before. Not what does the asterisk mean. 

You didn't see the asterisk before when and where? Be specific: OS, version of Photoshop, document type and size open etc. 

The post about Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled IS correct and still shows up without any optional plug-in, at least on my Mac so yeah, that's why it shows up for me....

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you are trying to create a problem by installing unnecessary plugin. The asterisk is harmless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reading for content, and not posting that you, "do not know" or "wonder" or guess etc.

NOWHERE in my post does it suggest I am trying to install a plugin. Please, learn to not make worthless opinion posts, trying to get clear answers here is difficult WITHOUT nonsense posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines