• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gaussian Blur in Photoshop CS5 Corrupting files

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just got brand new systems at work less than a month ago and this event has happened twice since then. When using Photoshop CS5 Extended and using Gaussian blur the file becomes blocky and all layers as well as their masks become corrupted with these blocks. Can anyone help or is there any advice?

Here are my system specs...

Model Name:    Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacPro5,1
  Processor Name:    6-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    2
  Total Number Of Cores:    12
  L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache (per processor):    12 MB
  Memory:    16 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:    6.4 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:    MP51.007F.B00
  SMC Version (system):    1.39f11
  SMC Version (processor tray):    1.39f11

Christmas LIVE Ad (original).jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Ok, try disabling all third party plugins and try again.

After that, try disabling the extension plugins, and try again.

If this was a widespread problem, I think we'd be hearing about it from more users.

So my guess is that it is something to do with your system or configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 227 Replies 227
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you hit a nerve.  I spend a lot of time reading and responding to crash reports, in addition to getting the bugs fixed that caused those crashes.

Not all teams are as good about following up on the crash reports.

But it's still better to send them in than not - so we know more about the crash, know how often it happens relative to other crashes, and can try to get more information if the report itself doesn't tell us what went wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit a nerve? Try rebuiding an entire file because of a glitch that not only messed up the last half hour of work but actually corrupted the entire file to the point where it is unusable even though you didn't save the file once it corrupted.

I definitely won't be hitting any more nerves. Won't be posting here again and cerainly won't be upgrading or supporting your company in any form or fashion until I am forced to. Tired of shoddy programs. Tired of companies pointing the finger at each other over whose fault something is. Tired of getting the short end of the stick because accountants really run the show because at the end of the day it is all about profits and most definitely tired of being a real world tester so that big companies can save a penny.

There are bugs in this program that have been here since it's introduction on OS X. I have had hundreds upon hundreds of dollars worth of nerves hit over the years not to mention time lost due to rebuilding files due to data corruption in this latest build that apparently can't be reproduced. None of this even begins to approach the frustration with the house of cards named Adobe Illustrator. I have lost all faith in your company and once astounding products and only use them because of there is nothing else available due to monopolization.

I was trying to be nice. Trying to chime in that I too am having a issue. Even went as far as to clarify that I wasn't trying to be a jerk but still got told how I upset you. That is all good because I have been upset with the products out of this company for some time. At least we understand each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

As you can see from the rest of the thread, I've been trying to track down this corruption problem for quite a while now. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for all of you who have to deal with this issue, and I completely agree -- this is not acceptable. You should not have deal with corruption of your data. As DirtDiver31 said, we haven't been able to replicate it on our side (I personally have spent many hours trying to reproduce it), but this is still very much on my radar and I haven't given up on it. I can't tell you how thrilled I will be when we finally discover the cause of this. Every little bit of information helps.

I know you're annoyed over the response you've gotten so far, but I hope you will reconsider your decision, and at least send me some of the info I've asked for earlier in the thread. Since it sounds like you run into this on a regular basis, I'm also interested in doing a Connect session with you if possible.

Feel free to contact me (jrubbo AT adobe DOT com) with more info on the crash -- I can also look into that.

Again, I'm sorry you've had such a frustrating time with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanne.

I am still having this issue and whilst I understand you cannot reproduce it, it is hard to send any details as the problem doesn't crash photoshop and so there's no crash report to send. I have emailed you a screenshot of my file which has just corrupted and is now un-useable. If you have made any progress on this problem please let us all know as I think we are all loosing a lot of hours reworking files that have corrupted.

Thanks

Neal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The details needed are: what steps can reproduce this? What other things are installed with Photoshop that might cause corruption (third party plugins, utilities, etc.).

We need all the information we can get that will help us reproduce the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with everyone else in this discussion I can't actively reproduce the problem. It seems to occur when a file has smart or 3d objects in it but corrupts when a blur filter is used on any layer in the document - but this doesn't happen every time and so I can't reproduce the corruption on demand. Once it has happened to a file I'm working on any file I open before closing photoshop os also corrupted in the same way.

This time round I had linotype's font explorer running which has a photoshop plugin active but when I initially had the problem I tried working without the program running and it still occurred so decided that wasn't effecting anything. The only other plugin I have added to photoshop is the ICOformat.plugin for saving windows icon image files - which I have used for a long time before the problem began. I have tried resetting the PRAM and I have done an extened hardware test so it is also not a hardware problem.

I would be more than happy for you to remotely look into my system. Would it be possible to do it on a non-timed basis so I could email you when it next happens and you can look at it then to see what the document looks like and how it is set up when the problem occurs. Would that be more useful?

Thanks

Neal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neal,

I've contacted you via e-mail, but just to (publicly) answer your question about any progress -- no, unfortunately, there are not any new leads on this. Hopefully we can set up a Connect session at some point in the future when you run into this again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're experienicing this problem on two of our retouching stations running CS5 Photoshop.

Has anyone seen this problem in CS5.5? We were planning on waiting until CS6 came out to upgrade, but if this would stop the file corruption, I could probably swing for it for our six retouching Macs.

Thanks.

-- Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inasmuch as Adobe and many others have been unable to reproduce the problem, I don't see how anyone can assure you that CS5.5 won't have the same issue.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了            (no connection to Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having an issue with corrupted files as well, but the cause of the problem is probably unrelated since the distortion is a little more dramatic. This is a screen shot of a .psd document....it should be an image of a building and landscape with about 10 layers (or somthing close to that). My problem didn't occur as i was working on the document, but rather after i had saved it and shut my computer down. when i turned my computer back on after a couple of days 3 of my most recent .psd documets had done the same thing.

I am running Mac OS X 10.7.2

2.3 GHz intel core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

please help!

Screen Shot 2011-11-29 at 9.07.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks more like disk corruption, and doesn't seem to be related to this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to this thread, we updated two of our retouchers to CS5.5 Photoshop about three weeks ago and so far we haven't had the filter corruption issue re-occur. I'll let it run thru the end of the year and if we still haven't seen a reoccurance, we'll update the rest of the department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been encountering the problem from time-to-time since installing CS5 EXTENDED on a brand new machine. I have a MacBook Pro, with the i7 core. I usually have PS contiunually running for days at a time. No third-party software except for wacom tablet. The corruption is completely random and frustrating. Same kind of situation, using gaussian blur, and then photoshop starts drawing blocks on my files. Sometimes it's on the actual layers themselves, and sometimes just in my layer masks. Cannot undo or revert file. Just completely corrupts it with blocks of information removed. I haven't submitted a crash report since it doesn't actually "crash" my computer, just destroys the file.

Attached is an image. I had just applied gaussian blur on a new layer to create a drop shadow. The corruption attacked a different layer,  and cut a hole through the photo layer (It's not a white fill), You can see my drop shadow lingering through the corruption block.

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions, and please let me know if you come out with a patch. Due to budgetory constraints, sure when we will upgrade to 5.5 since we just bought 5 in March. I will try and post more images when this happens. Hope you can figure this out!

corruption_sample.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue since we got CS5 at work, it's doing the same thing that everyone is describing, randomly after doing a gaussian blur  layers get corrupted. After the first few times it happened we replaced all the RAM in my machine and but it still randomly happens.

Model Name:Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:MacPro3,1
  Processor Name:Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:2.8 GHz
  Number Of Processors:2
  Total Number Of Cores:8
  L2 Cache (per processor):12 MB
  Memory:12 GB
  Bus Speed:1.6 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:MP31.006C.B05
  SMC Version (system):1.25f4

System Version:Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

No third party plugins. CS5 v12.0.4 x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

I also noticed that MANY MANY MANY of my files were beginning to look fuzzy.  At first I thought perhaps it was me resaving to often {PC system w/ Intuos 4} and now Mac.  Then I noticed while working on a few files LIVE that a clear image went a bit blurry all of a sudden.  Thankfully, I figured out that the system was making the command on it's own because when I selected "Undo" for something totally unrelated to Gaussian Blur and had not used Gaussian blur, the command "Undo Guassian" popped up.  Then, the lightbulb went off.  It is the system doing the command on its own for some reason.

The other day, I worked on a vintage image graphic I had downloaded from another source.  Had worked on it in a prior session as well.  I looked over at my screen and where a few pixels had softly been removed from my edits, magic wand tool selection edits, {which was fine, I wanted the layer below to kind of show through}.  The pixels turned SQUARE!?  I have also had to close out docs without saving when I notice funky things going on. 

There is a "pixel bender" file that I have noticed on the program.  Is this related to gaussian blur?  Is this a valid PS .exe?

I have lots of history typically when working with my images.  Perhaps I could provide a copy to Adobe to see if technical support could figure this out.

This problem has affected several documents, including logos!   So, I am thinking it is happening upon reopening files.  And as I recall, this was ALSO occuring on my old PC.  I thought I was saving incorrectly, see above.  I have a Mac now.

I have a new Mac and do use an Intuos 4 Pen and Tablet.  But I am *NOT* clicking down on guassian blur.

No Third Party Plugins.

Typically, I have Bridge running in the background 90% of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI!

I have a really big problem. I work in advertising and I need to retouch a lot.

When I use the guassian blur, my file becomes corrupted and I loose all my work done. A lot of strange objects and lines appear...

My Mac info:

Adobe Photoshop Extended 12.0 x64

3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tontcho, I hear you loud and clear.  I'm also a professional retoucher, and i've recently lost at least 40 hours of work over a few months to this (or a similar) issue.  I do have a Wacom, but when this happens, i'm not using it.

It's not just gaussian blurring that does it for me though (though it does); for me, it's way worse layers with masks, or groups of layers with masks that really get things tweaked out.

I've done all the usual things (prefs, etc), as well as replaced all the RAM, replaced the GPU, disabled OpenGL, reinstalled the entire CS5 Suite, and still, corruption.

I've gotten into the habit of saving extremely often, but there's been more than once that i've saved while zoomed in without noticing corruption, and therefore killed large and complex (1-2gb, 50+ layers) files.

Anything, literally ANYTHING will help.

Thanks,

Erik

System:

2.66GHz Quad Xeon

16GB 1066MHz DDR3

12.0.4 x64

NVIDIA GeForce GT120

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixel bender is ok, it is an Adobe technology: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/pixelbenderplugin/

I'm just an user, but I am wondering:

Most of the users affected seem to be working in a large environment/corporate/offices.

Most seem to be usingMac Pros.

Usually, the files are quite large.

Is there anything peculiar about them? Smart Objects, Advanced blending, any common denominator?

I am wondering if they run special software (anti-virus, corporate firewall, back-up solutions) if they work locally, or if the files are located on a server, if there is anything peculiar compared to a regular computer.

Is time machine activated, on an external or internal disk? Are they all using a wacom tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2012 Jan 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the same bug. Didn't even get to apply the Gaussian Blur. Saw the corruption happening while I was in the effect preview, hit cancel but it still messed up my image. Interestingly, it only effected the layer beneath the one I was attempting to apply the blur to. 14 MB RGB file contained 10 layers, 1 layer group, 2 layer masks, 1 adjustment layer, various blending modes throughout. Kind of an average file - which is troubling because it makes me think it can happen at any time.

Like everyone else here, I need to be able to use these editing tools with complete confidence in their reliability. Please help, Adobe. Livelihoods depend on it!!!

Thanks,

Anthony

System:

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Photoshop 12.1 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2012 Jan 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard what I said above about it only effecting one layer. Upon reopening the file, corruption has occured throughout.

Work lost.

Very unhappy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened again today, minor file corruption, but massive desktop corruption.

Here's what it looks like (before rebooting): http://imgur.com/a/4NPJK

Good times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That shows a video card driver problem (and probably MacOS 10.7), not a Photoshop document corruption problem.

Corruption of the Photoshop document would not affect the rest of the system - just that single document in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure am glad that on the Windows side we can get our own new display drivers directly from the manufacturer.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yesterday's error might not've been the right thing, but sadly, today's is ... http://imgur.com/a/oezON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines