• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate Normal Map still not working in PS 21.2.1

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Generate Normal Map" still isn't working. Nothing happens when I select it, other than the image reloading. 

I know others had this problem, and resetting PS's preferences seemed to work for them. It only works for me if I reset the preferences EVERY TIME I reopen Photoshop, and even then I only get one map per session to work. 

This is a huge wrench in my workflow and I wish Adobe would address it, as it's happening to a lot of people, across various versions. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020
Same for me, i can generate something but the preview is totaly broken and i cant move settings.

(look, it should be a "cylinder" and moving contrast doesnt change anything before, and after.)

this is an imput error and the work around is to NOT click inside the text | icons but use your mouse to adjust the sliders instead

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

Sorry to hear that maps are not generating in Photoshop. Could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for replying.

I get the following error generating normal maps with the graphics processor turned off:
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 4.13.33 PM.png

In case it helps, here is my graphic card info, plus the default settings I'm using:

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 4.14.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Photoshop CC2019 and 2020 are EXTREMELY BUGGY.

I have the latest macbook Pro with the AMD Radeon Pro GPU and other apps run just fine.

100% software glitch.

Photoshop obviously requires the graphics processor to run this feature. Turning it on and off DID NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE. Where is the SUPPORT??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, i can generate something but the preview is totaly broken and i cant move settings.

(look, it should be a "cylinder" and moving contrast doesnt change anything before, and after.)

Capture d’écran 2020-12-21 à 14.44.47.png

For me, the fonctionnality is useless now because you cant move any parameters.

So if the dev won't fix it, they can remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on mac pro, latest photoshop 22.1 :

Capture d’écran 2020-12-21 à 14.46.34.png

Need help please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT : same problem on my new Mac Book Pro (2019), Core i9, 1T SSD, 16go ram.
Latest Photoshop. 

Capture d’écran 2020-12-22 à 13.46.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add to the bug report below where Adobe developers will see it.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/3d-normal-map-filter-not-working/5fe140123599...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the solution on the last comment on the link but it doesn't work to me. I was uninstall every settings and reinstall the lastest version, then I try the Filter -> 3D -> Normal Map, it works on the first time, but for the second and go on I cannot see rotation on the preview panel, cannot change contrast.

Are there any different solution?

Here is the result when I click Ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1, your image is a postcard 3D \ not a normal map so your issue is not the same

2, Adobe has decided to drop 3D from Photoshop all together so no fix is coming... you can try Blender [free], Substance [$] or one of the other 3rd party softwares around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow. so its a break, removal that is either forcing another fee or having to spend months learning a new program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an imput error and the work around is to NOT click inside the text | icons but use your mouse to adjust the sliders instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks A LOT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will it be fixed Adobe ? Every freaking new update is not only bringing anything useful but it also destroys stuff that were working great. I remember many years ago when I could use photoshop very smoothly and nowadays with my powerful computer it is buggy as hell. Using the software is an horrible experience, don;t you know it? Do you test your software someday? I just want to generate a damn nomal map like before for me work and... it is a pain in my ass, I just can;t do the work. And I pay!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will it be fixed? It won't.

3D is to be dropped from Photoshop, as announced by Adobe earlier this month.

Remember you are not addressing Adobe here, we are volunteer Photoshop users, not Adobe employees.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 3D is to be dropped, then drop it. Or, at least until you drop it, don't break it. How one coul'd be satisfy with such policy ?
I know I am not talking directly to Adobe but It felt good to speak so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr davescm,

Generate a Normal map isn't making 3D.

3D in Photoshop always been useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generate normal map uses 3D functionality which is being dropped from Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, please see: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

If you are on 22.5, also try the following: Go to Preferences > Technology Previews, and check the item Deactivate Native Canvas, then restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivate Native Canvas restores some 3D functions but generate normal has been buggy for a while now.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here i cannot generate normasl apparently some problem with the Color Profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As discussed earlier in the thread, 3D is being deprecated and removed from Photoshop. Generate normals uses that 3D engine.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same here, it doesn't work. It always had issues for while now . 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came up with this issue in 2024 after an update. I have been using [link deleted by moderator]

for my maps. It really is not cool I pay for a service that keeps breaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D is removed in the latest version, as announced by Adobe some time ago. If you need 3D functionality Adobe recommends v22.2

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines