• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting wrong readings from eyedropper tool.

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! 

Am I doning something wrong or is my eyedropper tool giving me incorrect readings?

Basically when I sample area (hover over an area I want to get reading from) where I know it is clipped shadows, it tells me K=90%. But that should be 100%, no?

When I sample area where I know the highlights are not clipped, it tells me K=0%.

The histogram confirms that there are no clipped highlights and that there are clipped shadows.

It is really strange to me, but perhaps I am using it wrong?

Thanks in advance for your time! 

All the best from Prague

Krystof

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 15.52.42.png

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 15.52.49.png

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 15.53.17.png

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 15.53.51.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

You are just reading the K channel. A lot of the tone is in the CMY channels. If you want just the K readout (essentially, merging all the colors) use the Panel Options menu to change our CMYK readout to Grayscale (K only).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are just reading the K channel. A lot of the tone is in the CMY channels. If you want just the K readout (essentially, merging all the colors) use the Panel Options menu to change our CMYK readout to Grayscale (K only).

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Creamer! It worked. 

I knew I am dumb, but now there is a proof on the internet. : D

I was baffled why are there any values in CMY. I thought since it is B/W image there should be only K value. But I've dissmised it as part of the error. Turns out I don't know enough.

Anyway thank you again for your time.

I am off to do some googling on the CMYK topic.  

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The CMYK values would happen if the image was printed as a 4-color black. This gets into the color management stuff that I won't go into now...

Don't sweat not knowing something. Very few people can claim to know everything there is to know about a program like Photoshop. Many of us, myself included, learn the hard way--messing up, asking for help or looking it up, and remembering it for later.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines