• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ghost Image left behind When Using a Layer Mask Photoshop CC 2018

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a picture that has a telephone pole in it that I want to remove.  I am using a layer mask to mask it out and reveal another layer to fill in the space.  However, after I mask out the pole, I can still see a ghost image of it in the picture.  I have check that my black is really black.  The mode is Normal. Opacity is 100%. Flow is 100%.  Smoothing is 10%, hardness is 91%.  I have the most recent version of photoshop, 19.0 version.  I have a Nvidia Quadro M4000 graphics card.  The driver is up to date.  The desktop is running Windows 10, has a Skylake processor and 32 GB of RAM.  I never noticed this problem before up dating Photoshop this week.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

You wont believe this but have rechecked that black was still black and it had changed to 35,35,35. Have changed it back again to zero and now OK. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Withou any screen capture we have no way to tell if your layer mask even looks like it may be a good mask.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem went away after I increased the brush size.  I then went over the same area with the larger brush and realized the the smaller brush size had been putting down dark gray instead of black.  I was able to reduce the brush size again and it still worked.  I did not make any other changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  All my settings are correct but I have a faint ghost of the background remaining after I use the layer mask.  I'm using Photoshop CC.  Using a different size brush does not make a difference. I also made certain it was putting down black with the brush.   Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me to, started today, 2 oct 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOUND IT - Black was no longer black in the presetted choice... so strange! Anyway, it works now after setting the black to... black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! The same thing was happening to me.  So frustrating.  I so appreciate your sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU you just saved my night (and my deadline) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and its doing my head in!! Have checked all settings and properties and all seem Ok.  Black is black opacity flow and smoothing all 100% (smoothing was 20% but increased it to see if it helped but it hasnt) have tried different brushes both hard and soft. Mode is normal but ghosting remains. Am using latest updated CC version. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wont believe this but have rechecked that black was still black and it had changed to 35,35,35. Have changed it back again to zero and now OK. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got ito the habit of always checking my black now.  You can't be sure if it's changed sometimes. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suddenly experiencing mask layer ghosting! I've checked my settings with the information in this discussion and can't find the reason for this issue. I've attached a screenshot of the issue and my settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing to do is to check brush settings if you have Wet Edges checked, uncheck it and that my fix your problem. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines