• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gif becomes grainy/pixelated in 'Save For Web'

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I recently switched laptops and I have been having major issues trying to regain the quality gifs I used to make. After I have my gif set to go, I go to save it in 'Save For Web'. This is where all of my problems start. My gif no longer looks smooth, but the entire thing has a grainy or pixelated look -- and it doesn't change no matter how I fiddle with my settings. When switching from the 'original' to the 'optimized' tab in the save for web page, you can obviously see a loss of quality. It may be slight, but it makes a huge difference to me.

Here's a side by side reference:

10.png

Not sure if it will help, but here are my settings when saving (I have changed from 'pattern' to 'diffusion' and nothing changes):

9.png

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

First, JJMack is correct: lots of colours (around 32100) in this example do make it harder to convert without grain.

Second, the quality of the GIFs you produced in Save for Web (SfW) prior to the purchase of the new laptop were never any "better" - it merely means that the previous screen was unable to display the results at a decent enough quality to actually discern the differences between the original and the GIF version with reduced colours. Screen quality does matter.

Second, Photoshop's Sav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that your original image has  millions of colors and that your GIF image has only 255 colors.  If you uncheck transparency your Gif could have 256 colors.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, JJMack is correct: lots of colours (around 32100) in this example do make it harder to convert without grain.

Second, the quality of the GIFs you produced in Save for Web (SfW) prior to the purchase of the new laptop were never any "better" - it merely means that the previous screen was unable to display the results at a decent enough quality to actually discern the differences between the original and the GIF version with reduced colours. Screen quality does matter.

Second, Photoshop's Save for Web colour reduction algorithms are quite old-fashioned, and (far) better methods are available. Not in Photoshop, however. For a good conversion you will have to look elsewhere.

Here is the original version @2x zoom (32101 colours):

original.png

Photoshop's version. The best visual quality I could achieve in SfW (diffusion dither at 81%, perceptual). Obvious banding issues, and a very grainy result.

ps.png

Next up: RIOT (Radical Image Optimization Tool). RIOT features a newer "NeuQuant neural-net" colour quantization algorithm. Notice how the gradients are quite nicely retained, although here and there some issues pop up (lips/makeup, building, arm highlight, and greenery are missing colour). Overall, though, the final result is much less grainy looking than Photoshop's effort. At the expense of smaller areas with unique colours.

riot.png

Next, let's try Color Quantizer with standard settings,  a two factor gradient priority, and 256 colours. Dithering was set to Shiau-Fan @75%. Slight banding in the lighter areas of the background, and the building and lips are again missing colours from the original. Much less grainy than Photoshop's version.

cq.png

Colour Quantizer features a quality mask brush, which allows us to safeguard smaller areas with unique colours from colour degradation. I painted a mask for the lips, the building and greenery in the background, the skin of the woman on the right in the background, the lighter area around the vent, and the forehead to preserve those areas' quality as much as possible.

I feel this result speaks for itself. There is slight banding visible in the lighter area of the wall on the right, but still much less pronounced compared to SfW's version. The colours are all there, especially the important ones for the makeup and the smooth facial tones of Kate. The shoulder's highlight is also preserved nicely. Even the woman on the right in the background looks spot on (which was yet another sore point in SfW's version).

CQ2.png

Arguably the best version. Far superior to Photoshop's failed effort.

Fourth, if you are still using GIF to optimize still images: STOP NOW. GIF is terrible in comparison to properly optimized and compressed PNG files. Only use GIF when small animated movies are your goal.

Here is a 512 colour version produced in Color Quantizer (Photoshop's SfW function lets us down once more, unfortunately: there is no option to reduce an image to 512 colours for PNG):

CQ3.png

This last version is visually (mostly) indistinguishable from the original, and clocks in at only 52kb.

Of course, if you are saving this as a still image, jpg should have been your choice in the first place, since it is a photo.

Conclusions:

- avoid Photoshop's "Save for Web" function if your intention is a quality colour reduction;

- avoid GIF for still images. Either use PNG or JPG. JPG works best for photos;

- avoid Photoshop and SfW if your intention is to optimize PNGs well. Sfw cannot save PNG files with reduced colours beyond 256 colours;

- fall back to external and/or online utilities to optimize PNG and GIF files. Color Quantizer and RIOT deliver better results than SfW. Or use online optimization tools to optimize animated GIFs (Optimize animated GIF). You can also optimize each frame in a tool such as CQ, and then import the individual frames into a animated GIF utility. Remember, each frame can save its own custom 256 colour palette;

- for optimum quality a quality mask tool, such as the one in CQ, is a very effective and efficient method to guarantee the best possible conversion;

- file sizes of png files created in external utilities almost always beat the ones generated in Photoshop and SfW;

- a better choice to export PNG files is Photoshop CC Generator. At least that one allows for 8bit PNG files with full transparency (another missing essential feature that SfW fails to provide).

Other resources (these refer to png, but are also effective for GIF optimization in Photoshop):

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/07/15/clever-png-optimization-techniques/

PNG Optimization Guide: More Clever Techniques - Smashing Magazine

Color Quantizer: Color quantizer

RIOT standalone version (no installation required): http://download.criosweb.ro/download.php?sid=R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your detailed help and explanations! I do realize the difference between PNG, JPEG, and GIF as I work with both animated giffing from videos and photography. However, my issue is that I was having no problems whatsoever with quality reduction on my old laptop via photoshop and making animated gifs. Actually, my animated gifs looked quite smooth and sharp while making them through photoshop. As soon as I switched to my new computer and bought photoshop, the quality reduction started happening on the new device. Perhaps it's something with my computer itself rather than photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the quality of the LCD display.  LCD vary in resolution and technology image quality in a file is not different from machine to machine however the image rendered on a machine  display will vary between machine displays.   Vary in size, resolution sharpness and color.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herbert2001  wrote

[Some very useful stuff snipped]

That was worthy of a bookmark.  I shall came back and refer to it when the need next arises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer you are looking for (2 years late) you have the gif set to "optimized" (in the upper left corner). Set it to "original" and you'll be all set!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy how simply correct this is lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you're gonna read this, but this reply deserves all the rewards. I literally tried fixing this issue for two years and couldn't figure it out and people were telling me the same things as others on this thread, when the optimized setting has been the issue all along after switching laptops - so thanks for saving my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lack of understanding here about how the export as web dialog works: when you activate the "Original" view, it merely displays the original image. The unoptimized image.

But it will still export a version that is based on the settings that are picked and previewed in the "optimized" view.

So perhaps it looks as if you've solved it, but really you haven't. The original and optimized views are meant to compare the original version with the optimized version.

To check this for yourselves: save your GIF version, and open that in Photoshop. Then compare that version with the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best thing to do when it comes to photos in GIFs is to first export it as a video first

(File > Export > Render video)

Then take the video into PremierPro, export as a Animated GIF

(File > Export > Media.. then Format > Animated GIF)

This will keep the photo quality, it's a bit of a faff but better than messing around with the exports!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer you are looking for (2 years late) you have the gif set to "optimized" (in the upper left corner). Set it to "original" and you'll be all set!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

klonkster  wrote

No. That is incorrect. Your answer has nothing to do with the original question: "Original" will merely display the original (unoptimized) version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question was why does the gif get pixelated and grainy and that's because it's being optimized, so choosing original actually does answer the question. Using what you started with gets you what you expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't export as the original, though. It will export as the optimized. The "original" option in the preview is just to allow you to compare the two. The optimized is what you will be exporting from photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's not only me, but it's most people that send gifs to me and all of the gifs that I send to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reduce Lossy worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution, and it's sooo simple! When you are in the "Safe for Web" window, choose the "Original" tab on the top instead of the "Optimized" that is suggested by default. The original quality is so much better, although the file size is also bigger, of course.

how-to-make-crispier-gifs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did'nt work for me. When putting it in to my website it still was as grainy as Optimized....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was already discussed earlier in the thread, in the responses from 5 years go (2017):

“Original” is NOT an export option. Original is just a convenience view of the original appearance, so you can compare it to the current Save for Web settings. What will always export are the current settings, not Original.

“Grainy” GIFs are usually a consequence of the 1990s-era limit of only 256 colors in a GIF, and the “grain” usually comes from having to dither the few available colors to simulate more colors.

To fix the “grain,” try changing the Dither method or percentage, try applying a different Color Reduction Algorithm (e.g. Perceptual, Selective, Adaptive…) in case it results in less dithering, or start over with an original with fewer colors. Or, use another format such as PNG that is not so restricted in its color palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suuuper late to the party, but this is how I kept the original quality..

Best thing to do when it comes to photos in GIFs is to first export it as a video first

(File > Export > Render video)

Then take the video into PremierPro, export as a Animated GIF

(File > Export > Media.. then Format > Animated GIF)

If you don't have PremierPro you can also use sites such as ezgif and cloudconvert

This will keep the photo quality, it's a bit of a faff but better than messing around with the exports!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of it reminds me of why I always hated trying to make gifs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@zara.winkhaus.2950 Proof is in the pudding: provide examples of the original image converted with your methods. 😉

In any case GIF, animated or not, is an outdated inefficient decrepit web file format that should no longer be used because (much) better alternatives exist:

• for static (non-animated) indexed 256 or fewer colours static PNG offers better compression and reduces file sizes.
  • for static (non-animate) indexed 256 or fewer colours with transparency PNG offers better compression and full 0-255 levels of transparency compared to GIF's 1 bit only (on or off) transparency. And with the right tool still smaller in file size.
  • for small animations APNG (AnimatedPNG) again is more efficient than Animated GIF, and all browsers support APNG. Besides, APNG supports full transparency.
  • for animations Animated WebP is supported by all browsers now as well. Much smaller file sizes and better quality than Animated GIF make it the preferred format to replace animated GIF files.

Unfortunately as expected Adobe lags behind the curve and even APNG support is just not there, let alone AWepb. Sad, sad, sad...

No-one ought to be relying on the superceded animated GIF or static GIF file format anymore. If you still do: stop, and smell the roses of APNG and AWebP.

(PS AVIF is coming! Already animation is supported in a few browsers!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines