• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Going back and forth between lightroom and photoshop

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lithtroom to Photoshop and back works great the first time. Multiple times however back and forth do not work. Have to save as and reimport into Lightroom which becoms a chore. I guess Adobe thinks that you have to get it right the first time. Try as I may, I sometimes have to go back to photoshop they second and third time. For this I am severly  punished. Anyone know what is going on with this?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that -

Lightroom-Desktop v4.2

Lightroom (Perpetual v1-v6)

Lightroom-iPad v6

Lightroom-Classic v10.2.2?

PC, Mac, iPad ?

Workflow re-opening the Photoshop 'original' file?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit unclear what you're trying to achieve here, but a word of caution: Roundtripping between Lightroom and Photoshop can very quickly become a self-defeating process. Mostly it's a recipe for endless confusion.

• Lightroom does not support or understand Photoshop layers. It just reads the flattened composite that Photoshop embeds in the file, and that's what it works with.
  • Lightroom adjustments are stored in the catalog, not in the file. Photoshop does not read Lightroom adjustments, unless you specifically export with adjustments baked into the pixel data.

The standard workflow is to use Lightroom for processing raw files, taking that as far as you can, and then send a processed and rendered RGB file to Photoshop for further treatment that cannot be achieved with Lightroom. The process normally stops there.

If you want to use Lightroom adjustments on one of these rendered RGB files, you can reprocess it in Lightroom. But a much more efficient way to achieve exactly the same result is to use the ACR filter in Photoshop. It will give you not only the same result, but much more flexibility with layers, masking or treatment as a smart filter.

And to avoid further confusion: The ACR filter in Photoshop is not the same as the ACR raw processor plugin. It uses the same engine, but is intended to be used on RGB data and not raw data, and it behaves just like any other filter in Photoshop. And the effect is, again, the same as reopening the file in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The reason for going back into lightroom is that I
like to export it from there and keep it in a collection.I think what you
are saying is to export from Photoshop which makes file handling more
complicated for me. Also like to touch up photo a little more when
returning to Lightroom
I will try to get it right the first time. I thought you could send back
to Lightroom before flattening so you could go back to Photoshop and keep
your layers.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought you could send back to Lightroom before flattening so you could go back to Photoshop and keep your layers.

You can!!

My suggestions-

Always use [Edit Original] when re-opening a Photoshop 'layered' file (PSD, TIFF)

Always us [Save] from Ps for the image to re-appear in Lightroom-CLASSIC

Never 'Flatten' a layered file in Photoshop.

See my answer in this forum thread-

EDIT IN PHOTOSHOP & Lr EDITS

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines