Highlighted

Google Chromebook Compatibility

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Google Chromebook currently and quite enjoy it. I was wondering if there is currently or any future plans for photoshop to be available for a Chromebook OS?

Any luck?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy_OShea | Adobe Community Professional

Bottom line, Photoshop won't run on a chomebook.  You need a Windows or Mac desktop operating system + ample hard disk and RAM memory.  If unsure, look at the system requirements keeping in mind that these are a baseline recommendation.  For a better user experience, you'll need a good deal more resources to support your OS + Creative Cloud + all other apps and utilities.

Photoshop system requirements

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Google Chromebook Compatibility

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Google Chromebook currently and quite enjoy it. I was wondering if there is currently or any future plans for photoshop to be available for a Chromebook OS?

Any luck?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy_OShea | Adobe Community Professional

Bottom line, Photoshop won't run on a chomebook.  You need a Windows or Mac desktop operating system + ample hard disk and RAM memory.  If unsure, look at the system requirements keeping in mind that these are a baseline recommendation.  For a better user experience, you'll need a good deal more resources to support your OS + Creative Cloud + all other apps and utilities.

Photoshop system requirements

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google says its operating system is Chrome OS, which I have not heard of.  I expected to find it used Android, and would have said, "no, you are out of luck."  but with Chrome OS the answer is more like "hell no.  You are definitely out of luck!".  

We have a regular poster here called Curt, who knows weird stuff about weirder operating systems, so he might come along and say that you can run Windows XP in a virtual machine with Chrome OS, and run CS6 on it if you like reading, (about one good book per image to be processed ought to do it.

)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers, I know I've seen a few hacks on the Chrome OS - they seemed pretty intensive. I really just want to run a few choice programs that I can't find in the Google Store without bending over backwards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point.  Heck we are talking Google here.  It would be rediculous to write off Chrome OS as ineffective.  A quick look round found there are definitely choices

http://blogs.computerworld.com/cloud-computing/21822/google-chrome-os-misconceptions

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux users have been asking for a version of Photoshop for years.  While Laptop these days can be very powerful there are also cheap netbooks with less power still quite useful for they can run standard text applications like office do e-mail and browse the web and have real keyboards and they are cheaper then tablets..

Chrome OS machines where do they fit in. Being it Google I'm sure the web and Google cloud will play a big part in their OS.  Hardware wise what is a Chrome  machine? Photoshop is a resource hungry application. Powerful Windows and MAC laptops can run Photoshop well for the have the needed resources.  Will a Chrome OS machine?

Devices like Phone and Tablets should be inexpensive  and not be a repository for things of great value.  They are easy to drop and brake. So they should be replaceable devices. You get a new one and you back in business for all your assets are in your cloud and synced to your new replacement device.  I'm retired now and don't need all the new mobile devices. I will admit I have a iPod for my music.

I just took quick look at chromebook pixel sepcs it has a intel i-5 processor 4GB ram and a 32GB SSD.  Its not something I would want to run Photoshop on. The display looks good but with only 32GB of local SSD for OS apps Photoshop would have to use cloud scratch space,

Message was edited by: JJMack

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, There would need to be enough Chromebooks sold before Adobe would envision creating a compatible version. Also, the price of applications would need to be high enough for a return on investment.

I'd rather expect a version of Photoshop Express rather than a version of Photoshop, or even Elements made for Google OS (it is different from Android). http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshopexpress

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome OS is bascially Chrome browser on steroids. Nearly EVERYTHING about a ChromeBook is designed around web browsing. Yes there are some Google Apps to handle content offline, but it's made for web work.

PECourtejoie is right. There would need to be millions more Chromebooks sold before Adobe would consider making software specifically for them. Example: There are loads of Linux users out there, but not enough to warrant continued development of Flash Player for Linux. And that's freeware. To support paid software, not only would the Chromebook numbers have to be really high... but so would the interest in Photoshop for Chrome OS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshoptouch would be nice, they could make it an chrome extension!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines