• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google Images Has Become Harder to Use

Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I'd noticed some changes on Google image search in the last few days.  Now it has been confirmed — in response to complaints by Getty Images, Google has made it more difficult to grab images from its Image Search facility.  This is a new development to me, and I have not looked for workarounds at this stage.

Anger at Google image search 'peace deal' - BBC News

We can still set a size parameter

The difference appease to be that when you find an image which has a pixel size larger than your screen resolution, you can't now click on a View button and access the full resolution version directly from Google.  We now have to click on the image which opens the containing web page — the same as the old Visit button which I think has also been taken away.  This puts us at the mercy of the site developer as to whether we can click to expand that image, and from there, right click and Copy Image.  I was able to do that with my test image.  I guess this gives stock sites like Getty Images the option to make their images more difficult to steal, but I am not sure how much sympathy I have.  Organizations like iStock have been hijacking Google Image Search for years by cynically using Google's search algorithms to have their own images flood the first trillion places in an image search. 

We are now going to need to use the Usage Rights options, and chose one of the reuse options.  This bypasses all those stock images from search results, but you still have to jump through the same hoops of visiting the containing website, and finding and copying the image from there.

I am not sure at this stage how Google's reverse image search has been affected.  The article says that Google's Search by image tool has been removed, but I can still use the right click Search Google for image plugin.  The one below is in Chrome, but I think there will be equivalent for most browsers.

That takes you to the same page as previously (for now)

And to the all sizes as before, but if you click on any of those size options, you now have to go through the visit page and locate that image process.

So Dave's SFTW threads are going to take a tiny bit longer to respond to, and those of use who use Google images for source images for composites are going to have to work a little bit harder. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes bummer I used it all the time to get test images.  Next they will be after yahoo and bing images.....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but Bing offers public domain images, so it may be awhile if at all. (or at least they did)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wee heads up about a workaround.  It only works in Chrome AFAIK, but if you right click and chose Open image in new tab

It does exactly that, from where you can save the image, or copy to clipboard as before. (Note: that choosing Save image as at this stage will result in the lower res thumb being saved.) That's probably what I shall be doing, but it seems likely that extensions for other browsers will appear as a result of Google's changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an Extension for Firefox and Chrome to bring back the View Image button

Google Search "View Image" Button – Add-ons for Firefox

Google Search "View Image" Button - Chrome Web Store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to work well in Chrome but Chrome is Alphabet's browsers they will most likely have to disable that add on.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been on the phone with an Apple technician about the time this change took place and he was having me pull system files to locate a problem. After the call ended, I went to Google images and wondered what broke.

Yep, a lot of users were bombarding the Google Search Liason's Twitter account howling about the "new look"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a Chrome browser for OSx you may be able to use the above Chrome extension although  I do not believe I will be seeing My Android syncing the chrome extension.  I think some extension are platform dependent.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm already using Chrome, JJ, with the extension installed. FireFox 58 is randomly removing Photoshop from my my file associations in OSX 10.13.3 and I have to stop using it for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

I'm already using Chrome, JJ, with the extension installed. FireFox 58 is randomly removing Photoshop from my my file associations in OSX 10.13.3 and I have to stop using it for now.

Gene, I am pretty sure that it was you who put me on to those extensions in the first place.  They are super usful so thanks for that.

Silkrooster   wrote

Maybe I am just not grasping what Trevor is after.

No point as such.  Just a heads up and to start a discussion with the hope of some workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

No point as such.  Just a heads up and to start a discussion with the hope of some workarounds.

Ah OK. I am sure someone will create a workaround or plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sympathetic to Google and Getty on this one. I don't sell stock but I'd be annoyed if I did and people were using my images without recompense.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an image can be accesses from the web the dishonest will find a way they do not need Google Image.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I'm sympathetic to Google and Getty on this one. I don't sell stock but I'd be annoyed if I did and people were using my images without recompense.

Dave

It's a good point Dave, and it is all very well folk saying I'm only using the images for Dave's SFTW challenges and a few meme gags.  On the other hand, there is a permissions filter, and using it is also effective at bypassing all those iStock images that flood the first zillion hits from a search result.  I am ever so slightly inclined to call my use karma, because using reverse image search on some of my flick images finds them all over the place, including commercial websites.  A lot of a credit, but not all of them actually asked me if they could use the pictures.   I have a problem in that I sold some pictures to a website developer a few year back, so I can't say if those are the commercially used ones.  I am not going to lose sleep over it though.  Life is too short, and I quite like that folk thought my pictures worth nicking.

We have cyclone Gita hitting us at the moment, and I think I am going to have to swim to town, so onwards and upwards. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I tried Bing and would you believe it is an identical menu to google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No! Maybe Google will go after Bing....Alphabet vs Microsoft would be interesting

They are quite similar and you should expect that but not identical  and I do not see a View Image  button in Bing's interface. No exact size option etc

Size can be specified in the search thought and work to some extent

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see. Looks like google is slightly better. The tools menu  and advanced search is missing in Bing but you can't deny how extremely close they are. At first look it does appear the same. Just some of the minor conveniences are missing. Which may or may not be important.

In both cases they do allow you to copy the full resolution image and specify a public domain license (or similar) So for us it is not really an issue to copy, paste to Photoshop then scale to size. Unless the user is on a slower network anyway.
Maybe I am just not grasping what Trevor is after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[mod note] Huge apologies Terri, but last time I mentioned that in a public forum, I got my wrist slapped by Trisha. So I have removed it for now, but I'll put it back if you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use Photoshop so I passed on the ACP offer. IMO I do not qualify to be labeled ACP getting Photoshop is all I need.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't agree John, you have an extensive knowledge and would probably enjoy some of the perks you get as an ACP. I think if you had to be a genius none of us would qualify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor, I just sent you an email. I have an uncanny ability to say things against the official secrets act lol Now everyone is going to be wondering what the big secret is. All I can say to those who qualify is read the benefits document for ACPs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reverse image search is especially helpful for determining the original author

of the image and, for the photographer, seeing if any of his or her photos were

used without permission. For mobile and desktop you can use https://searchbyimages.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines