GPU acceleration and OpenCL support

Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tearing out what little hair I have left.

I am running Windows10 on an intel i7 Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) with 64GB DDR4 RAM

I am also running 2 GPU's

Nvidia GTX 970 (4GB)

AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)

I am having endless issues with Photoshop (all up to date via cloud)
Firstly when I go to "preferences / performance", only sometimes does it recognise the GTX 970 but never the RX 580. 
Then, if I check the box "Open CL: I get the dreaded: "could not complete your request because of a program error" when I try to open an image..... and if I uncheck the box, the program is excessively laggy and I then don't have access to "scrubby zoom" etc.

I have read that this might be an issue that AMD does not longer support OpenCL ..... or just the fact that I have 2 different GPU manufacturers and thus 2 different drivers that might be in conflict.

If this is the case, do I change the AMD for another Nvidia (the expensive route).... or do I just get another AMD GPU (the cheaper route) but will I then sit with the same OpenCL issue)

I would be extremely grateful for any definitive answers.

Many thanks

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

GPU acceleration and OpenCL support

Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tearing out what little hair I have left.

I am running Windows10 on an intel i7 Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) with 64GB DDR4 RAM

I am also running 2 GPU's

Nvidia GTX 970 (4GB)

AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)

I am having endless issues with Photoshop (all up to date via cloud)
Firstly when I go to "preferences / performance", only sometimes does it recognise the GTX 970 but never the RX 580. 
Then, if I check the box "Open CL: I get the dreaded: "could not complete your request because of a program error" when I try to open an image..... and if I uncheck the box, the program is excessively laggy and I then don't have access to "scrubby zoom" etc.

I have read that this might be an issue that AMD does not longer support OpenCL ..... or just the fact that I have 2 different GPU manufacturers and thus 2 different drivers that might be in conflict.

If this is the case, do I change the AMD for another Nvidia (the expensive route).... or do I just get another AMD GPU (the cheaper route) but will I then sit with the same OpenCL issue)

I would be extremely grateful for any definitive answers.

Many thanks

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 10, 2021 0
D Fosse LATEST
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because you have two GPUs. That never works well.

The thing is, the GPU isn't a one-way flow like it was in the old days. Today, the GPU is used for actual data processing, and the result fed back to Photoshop for further processing. Data go back and forth continously.

So you can imagine how two GPUs will break the whole process. Which GPU does Photoshop talk to, and when?

Dual GPUs will normally work if they are absolutely identical, and using the same driver.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2021 0