• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

gradient file is bad or corrupted

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open PS (latest version) I get an error, "gradient file is bad or corrupted." I checked on this a while back and there were othe people having this same issue but now I can't find any post that refer to a fix. Does anyone have a fix? Will uninstalling and re-installing it fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Solved?

So I opened up GRADIENTS in the Preset Manager (under EDIT), dragged one of the presets to a different location in the window, clicked SAVED, and DONE, and the error message no longer appears when PS Elements is loading.  (Save button didn't seem to work, so not sure why this got rid of the error message but it did.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Solution for "Gradient File is bad or Corrupted."

Exit Photoshop.

Locate your Gradients.PSP file.

In Windows, it's located in C:\Users\**Username** \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

Copy it to a temporary folder. You probably won't need it but save it, just in case.

Delete the Gradients.PSP file from the Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings folder above. Photoshop will regenerate a new Gradients.PSP file when launched.

Launch Photoshop. If you still get the error, crea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO! just like that, not a single reply from Adobe? Mi PS now for no reason says  "gradient file is bad or corrupted." as well.
WHY!???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset preferences? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop Elements 15 and started to get the same message:  "gradient file is bad or corrupted."

Resetting preferences did not solve the problem. I also checked for updates under "help" and I'm up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved?

So I opened up GRADIENTS in the Preset Manager (under EDIT), dragged one of the presets to a different location in the window, clicked SAVED, and DONE, and the error message no longer appears when PS Elements is loading.  (Save button didn't seem to work, so not sure why this got rid of the error message but it did.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem for me. I had to go to the second step (open file, use a gradient preset), but problem solved! Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a file to "the gradient file is bad or corrupted."  I then updated Pshop and now it says "file cannot be loaded because of program error."  

This is the 3rd time in a few months I have lost a file  - and there's nothing to be done...............

You say "have you tried to reset preferences." \ Exactly what do you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution for "Gradient File is bad or Corrupted."

Exit Photoshop.

Locate your Gradients.PSP file.

In Windows, it's located in C:\Users\**Username** \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

Copy it to a temporary folder. You probably won't need it but save it, just in case.

Delete the Gradients.PSP file from the Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings folder above. Photoshop will regenerate a new Gradients.PSP file when launched.

Launch Photoshop. If you still get the error, create a new document and use a gradient preset. Then quit and reopen Photoshop.

That should resolve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.
Solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. But as a "just in case" I just renamed the .psp file.  My normal renaming convention is to place "_old" in front of the original filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using tht cnventionfor many years, andnot just for Adobe. Iteliminates a lot of possiblec onfusionm. Others may se a difrent method, but renaming a file "_old...." works  for me, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the suggestions and I'm still getting the error and photoshop will not run correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks alot

Solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much

My problem solved 😬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Problem has solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This doesn't work, still getting error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@spectraflash613 Thanks a bunch, Step one did not do the trick, but Step two worked like a charm. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I locate gradient.PSP file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on Windows machine take a look below at screenshot

gradients psp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plz Solved.....this gradient file is bad or corrupted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines