Highlighted

gradient file is bad or corrupted

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open PS (latest version) I get an error, "gradient file is bad or corrupted." I checked on this a while back and there were othe people having this same issue but now I can't find any post that refer to a fix. Does anyone have a fix? Will uninstalling and re-installing it fix it?

Solution for "Gradient File is bad or Corrupted."

Exit Photoshop.

Locate your Gradients.PSP file.

In Windows, it's located in C:\Users\**Username** \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

Copy it to a temporary folder. You probably won't need it but save it, just in case.

Delete the Gradients.PSP file from the Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings folder above. Photoshop will regenerate a new Gradients.PSP file when launched.

Launch Photoshop. If you still get the error, create a new document and use a gradient preset. Then quit and reopen Photoshop.

That should resolve it.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

gradient file is bad or corrupted

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open PS (latest version) I get an error, "gradient file is bad or corrupted." I checked on this a while back and there were othe people having this same issue but now I can't find any post that refer to a fix. Does anyone have a fix? Will uninstalling and re-installing it fix it?

Exit Photoshop.

In Windows, it's located in C:\Users\**Username** \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

Copy it to a temporary folder. You probably won't need it but save it, just in case.

Delete the Gradients.PSP file from the Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings folder above. Photoshop will regenerate a new Gradients.PSP file when launched.

Launch Photoshop. If you still get the error, create a new document and use a gradient preset. Then quit and reopen Photoshop.

That should resolve it.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO! just like that, not a single reply from Adobe? Mi PS now for no reason says  "gradient file is bad or corrupted." as well.
WHY!???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset preferences? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop Elements 15 and started to get the same message:  "gradient file is bad or corrupted."

Resetting preferences did not solve the problem. I also checked for updates under "help" and I'm up to date.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved?

So I opened up GRADIENTS in the Preset Manager (under EDIT), dragged one of the presets to a different location in the window, clicked SAVED, and DONE, and the error message no longer appears when PS Elements is loading.  (Save button didn't seem to work, so not sure why this got rid of the error message but it did.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem for me. I had to go to the second step (open file, use a gradient preset), but problem solved! Thank you very much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a file to "the gradient file is bad or corrupted."  I then updated Pshop and now it says "file cannot be loaded because of program error."  

This is the 3rd time in a few months I have lost a file  - and there's nothing to be done...............

You say "have you tried to reset preferences." \ Exactly what do you mean?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exit Photoshop.

That should resolve it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 3
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.
Solved

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 0
peter007 LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. But as a "just in case" I just renamed the .psp file.  My normal renaming convention is to place "_old" in front of the original filename.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0