• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient Overlay Layer Style not working in Photoshop Mac

Explorer ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Gradient Overlay in layer style is not working on the latest version of Photoshop for Mac. I tried the same thing on my Windows machine (with latest version of Photoshop) and it works fine. Just trying to apply a blacd/white gradient effect to a white dot on a layer. As you can see on the image below, the layer effect is applied and is visible in the layers panel, but nothing is visible in the image.

Capture d’écran, le 2020-05-22 à 10.51.28.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Hello, did you try to reset the alignment?

Do you have legacy compositing on in the preferences?

Is it well on 21.1.3? (check in help>system info)

Are you on Catalina, it works here on Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try to reset the alignment?

Do you have legacy compositing on in the preferences?

Is it well on 21.1.3? (check in help>system info)

Are you on Catalina, it works here on Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did Reset Alignment and it solved the problem! I'm almost sure I had already tried that because I checked and unchecked every single checkbox in this dialogue to try to make it work. But that dit it.

I have the latest version of PS (21.1.3) and working in Mojave.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue (added a gradient overlay layer style) where I couldn't move the gradient on the layer.  Turning "legacy compositing" back on in the preferences fixed it and now it works!  THANK YOU, PECourtejoie!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Unless PECourtejoie’s advice already solved the issue Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue (added a gradient overlay layer style) where I couldn't move the gradient on the layer.  Turning "legacy compositing" back on in the preferences fixed it and now it works!  THANK YOU, PECourtejoie!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohnnyRockstar, did you try first to reset the alignment?

Legacy compositing is a worst case solution, intended more for troubleshooting than for really fixing the issue.

Can you try to turn it off, and check the file again?

Are you on the latest update of Ps, 21.2.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issues with the graidnet overlay feature. I'm running Catalina, and the latest Photoshop update 21.1.3.

My issues is that in addition to mnot being able to rotate the gradient, my gradient is showing up in grayscale and not full color. I'd like the overlay to be purple but as you can see it's only grey. 

Thansk for any help you may have with this. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 3.37.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it would be nice if we could see the title bar of the document, and not have the layers panel partially hidden.

but I see some color on the layers, so the document is in RGB, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of weird, but I have the same issue with the gradient overlay not moving on Layer Styles. The way I fixed it was to click outside of Photoshop onto the desktop or another app, and then return to Photoshop. This unfroze it and now I can left click+drag it around. It took me several months to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thread! I am having the same issue and have been for months. Super frustrating. Can someone advise in what preference settings to turn on the legacy compositing you mention above? 

For me the reset alignment button helps when I want the gradient in exactly 1 position but as soon as I edit the angle, it has the same issue. See a couple of screenshots attached. Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 14.09.02.pngScreenshot 2023-07-14 at 14.09.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you provde the file? (Feel free to remove everything expect the Group that has the Layer Style.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines