• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradients messed up with artboards

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple copies of an artboard to create variations of an idea. There is a gradient fill layer acting as a background for the artboards. Each artboard is supposed to have full gradient range but its acting as if the gradient is shared across all the artboards, thus each artboard getting a part of the gradient. Also moving the artboards is further screwing up the gradient where it seems to be re-sharing the gradient based on the new locations of the artboards.

I am attaching the psd file as well as a video of how moving the artboards is behaving.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Hi

To have the full gradient on each artboard, rather than across the canvas, use a traditional pixel layer and add the gradient in Layer Styles

2019-09-17_08-29-03.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not seem as if you applied the appropriate Layer Masks to the Gradient Layers. 

Though it might be better to use instances of a Smart Object in the ArtBoards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would layer masks affect the behavior of gradients across artboards? I thought layers are nested under artboards so thelayer masks should affect onlyu the layer its applied to.. not layers in other artboards. Duplicating an artboard should duplicate all its layers as well right ? May be i am understanding the concept of artboards wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you do misunderstand. 

Edit: Sorry, it should have been »do«, not »so«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Gradient Layer without a Layer Mask or Vector Mask references the Canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the piecemeal posts, have to get used to the new Forum and the shortcuts … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think the Gradient Layer behaviour should be changed to incorporate Artboard bounds you could post a Feature Request over on: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the file again. All the gradient layers have layer masks, they all just white but they are there. I agree with you that smart objects here would be a better idea (casual user, didnt think of it at the time, it was a quick design). I will read up on layer mask more, never knew they could affect the bounds of the layer. I thought they were just to control alpha. Thanks for your replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To have the full gradient on each artboard, rather than across the canvas, use a traditional pixel layer and add the gradient in Layer Styles

2019-09-17_08-29-03.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good option, I would still prefer using Smart Object instances

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will use that. Just for my knowledge, this is a workaround right or is the behavior i experience intended by design ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does sound like a strange issue, I have tried downloading the file you've shared and tested it at my end. I am able to reproduce this issue.

Does this happen with any other file?
What version of Photoshop and the operating system you're working with?

Could you try the suggestion shared by Dave and let us know how it goes?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have not seen this with other files but i am a casual user. I can try recreating another file but you mentioned you can reproduce it on your end. I am using Windows 10 with photoshop 20.0.6 release which is the latest as per my CC app. 

Dave's workaround did work and got me out of my jam, but i would still consider basic gradient layers not adhering to artboard a bug, unless i am misunderstanding the usecase of artboards of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, its NOT as if the gradient is just shared between the bounds of the artboards and artboards are acting as clipping masks into the gradient. If you move artboards vertically it just resets the gradient at some point and the appearance of the gradient in that artboard just changes suddenly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gradient fill layer is sized to the canvas not the artboards within it. So if you move an artboard across the canvas or add an artboard, to extend the canvas, the part of the gradient visible on each artboards changes. As far as I'm aware it has always done this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be they have always done this but i still see it as a bug or bad implementation.

Going by https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/artboards.html .. it says "Visually, artboards serve as individual canvases within a document." Taking the example mentioned on that help page - "Artboards help streamline your design process by giving you an infinite canvas on which you can lay out designs for different devices and screens" .. why would someone want their artboard nested gradient layers to share the same canvas. My designs would change based on just how i wanna layout my artboards. 

Anyways, the workaround worked and i dont know how much i wanna make this argument. Its in the devs' court now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue. I'm new to using Artboards. I'm sure having a gradient work across multiple Artboards is useful for some projects, it just seems weird to me at the moment. 

So my fix is, fill the mask black, so the gradient is invisible. Then hit command "i" (invert it). Then it causes the mask to be bound by the individual Artboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's be honest. It's just a bug and nothing more. I have the same issue and it's creating problems instead of speeding up work.

Every artboard copy just ignores the position of it's original instances' gradient layers. All artboards share the same position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may deserve to be called a bug but @davescm already posted a work-around: 

»To have the full gradient on each artboard, rather than across the canvas, use a traditional pixel layer and add the gradient in Layer Styles«

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesnt work for me. I apply gradients as layer styles and still does that thing. Definitely bad behaviour 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about posting meaningful screenshots including all pertinent Panels and Dialogs instead of a vague complaint? 

Did you uncheck »Align with Layer«? 

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 17.26.47.pngScreenshot 2021-10-13 at 17.26.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience this everyday since I use artboards for most of my clients projects (mostly social media campaings, with multiple artboard sizes) and is very frustrating have to create layer maks for every gradient fill layer. Especially because if you don't do this, when you export automatically using "file>export>artboards to files" the exported file looks diferrent from the PSD file.

I wonder why the devs think this is appropriate behaviour for the Gradient Layer, since other layer are not shared across multiple artboards. I think it's an overlooked bug that they don't have time to fix because their focusing on releasing new features to justify the subscription model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a meaningful description of your problem and post screenshots including all pertinent Panels to illustrate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with Equipe31220503p7ud! This is very frustrating. 

Who uses one gradient across multiple artboards? Makes no sense.

So, in five years, this didn't change. Disappointing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines