Highlighted

Gradients won't run vertical

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to reinstall Photoshop CC 2020 and now when I try to do a vertical gradient (top to bottom), it makes it diagonal instead. If I move the curser bottom to top, it goes horizontal. I hold down the shift key and it still does this. I am also unable to change the transition area. It seems as though the gradient doesn't listen to me at all and just acts like I dragged and dropped it in. Any idea how to fix this?

Have you reset the Tool yet? 

resetGradientTool.jpg

What about Gradient Layers? 

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Gradients won't run vertical

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to reinstall Photoshop CC 2020 and now when I try to do a vertical gradient (top to bottom), it makes it diagonal instead. If I move the curser bottom to top, it goes horizontal. I hold down the shift key and it still does this. I am also unable to change the transition area. It seems as though the gradient doesn't listen to me at all and just acts like I dragged and dropped it in. Any idea how to fix this?

resetGradientTool.jpg

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 18, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Have you tried using Gardient Layers instead? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resetGradientTool.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Thank you! How bizarre that it defaulted to a gradient that couldn't go vertical on a fresh reinstall. Thank you so very much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the tool did NOT work for me.  Is there any other way to fix this?  I cannot get the tool to work properly at all as a Linear gradient.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) and dialogs visible? 

What is the result you get? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up restarting photoshop and it worked.  However, the problem is reoccuring.  Other issues have popped up too, like the clone stamp tool suddenly going haywire.  I'm not sure if it's because my file is large or what.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0