Highlighted

Grainy ARW images upon opening in Adobe Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question is why do the ARW but not CR2 images open up grainy in Adobe Photoshop but NOT Affinity Photo?

Canon CR2 files from EOS 80D show some but little degradation with opening in Adobe Photoshop (compare Fig. 1A with 1B) and less in Affinity Photo (compare Fig. 1A with Fig. 2A).

If open Sony DSC-RX10M4 ARW files in Affinity Photo, very little change (compare Fig. 1C with Fig. 2B).

If open Sony ARW files in Photoshop, images become grainy (compare Fig. 1C with 1D).

ARWvsCR2 400x.jpg

Fig. 1. All shot at 400 mm without any other adjustments. From top left clockwise: screenshot of Canon CR2 desktop view (A); Canon CR2 opened into Photoshop (B) ; screenshot of Sony ARW desktop view (C); and Sony ARW opened directly in Photoshop (D).

ARWvsCRS Affinity.jpg

Fig. 2. Unprocessed direct openings of Canon CR2 (A) and Sony ARW (B) in Affinity Photo.

Question is why do the ARW but not CR2 images open up grainy in Adobe Photoshop but NOT Affinity Photo?

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Grainy ARW images upon opening in Adobe Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon CR2 files from EOS 80D show some but little degradation with opening in Adobe Photoshop (compare Fig. 1A with 1B) and less in Affinity Photo (compare Fig. 1A with Fig. 2A).

If open Sony DSC-RX10M4 ARW files in Affinity Photo, very little change (compare Fig. 1C with Fig. 2B).

If open Sony ARW files in Photoshop, images become grainy (compare Fig. 1C with 1D).

ARWvsCR2 400x.jpg

Fig. 1. All shot at 400 mm without any other adjustments. From top left clockwise: screenshot of Canon CR2 desktop view (A); Canon CR2 opened into Photoshop (B) ; screenshot of Sony ARW desktop view (C); and Sony ARW opened directly in Photoshop (D).

ARWvsCRS Affinity.jpg

Fig. 2. Unprocessed direct openings of Canon CR2 (A) and Sony ARW (B) in Affinity Photo.

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It first needs to be understood that it is the very same camera sensor data. There is no "more" or "less" noise - only how much noise reduction is applied. Noise level is determined by ISO and sensor characteristics.

You're comparing the camera-processed jpeg to the raw data at whatever default noise reduction is set in the raw processor.

Camera processing has very aggressive noise reduction applied automatically. The embedded jpeg will have very little noise. This is where the camera manufacturers compete fiercely.

In the raw processor (ACR and Affinity's equivalent) noise reduction is dialed in by the user. There will be a default setting, but you're supposed to use these sliders. Algorithms are different and which one is "best" is open for discussion. But the amount of noise reduction is up to you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you say is accurate, what is the parameter that has changed the noise reduction default for only ARW raw images? How do I return it to a setting so that when the ARW raw image is opened in Camera Raw, there is no introduced noise? And, why does this not happen for CR2 raw images? Thank you very much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do I return it to a setting so that when the ARW raw image is opened in Camera Raw, there is no introduced noise?"

You've missed D.Fosse's point. Camera Raw does not introduce noise. If you see noise in camera raw that you do not see elsewhere it is purely down to a greater level of noise reduction being applied elsewhere. So the noise that is present in your image is being reduced in other software.

So, in camera raw, use the sliders and  dial in your required level of noise reduction, which you can then save in a camera preset should you wish.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-raw-defaults.html

Dave

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I don't think I'm comparing the camera-processed jpeg to the raw data. I'm comparing the Mac pop-up view of the ARW file to what I see when I open the ARW file in Camera Raw.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still don't understand. Mac Preview doesn't show you the raw file. It shows you the jpeg that the camera embeds in the file. Windows Explorer does the same thing.

Noise is generated in the camera sensor, depending on ISO. A large part of raw processing is to reduce that noise, with different algorithms. Any differences you see are varying degrees of noise reduction. No noise is ever added, there's no way that can happen.

A raw file is just a data dump from the camera sensor. It is not yet an image. If you could see it, it would be a very dark, very tonally compressed and flat monochrome image. You wouldn't like it, trust me. To become a useful image, it needs to be processed in a raw processor. ACR is a raw processor, Preview is not.

The whole point of ACR is to use the sliders. The defaults are just a starting point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
YSCOTT LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanations. I obviously didn't realize that Adobe Camera Raw opens the raw file and manipulates it without initial instruction from me!

I didn't realize that jpeg is embedded in the raw file. The cameras have an option of saving Raw or Raw+jpeg or just jpeg and either setting with jpeg takes processor time that gets in the way of my capturing images, especially with the mirror camera.

Finally, I was able to save the slider settings I like for all files, but I still need to figure out how get Camera Raw to use a particular setting for a particular Raw file type...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0