• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphics card no longer recognized

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop (and Lightroom Classic) has been recognizing and utilizing my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super with 8 Gb RAM (Windows 10 PC; current with MS updates) until a Ps update a few days ago.  When I go to Preferences-->Performance, it reports "Unknown GPU (UNKNOWN)", so I can't even update the Performance Preferences. LrC still recongizes the card, but but Ps will not.

I saw there was one similar post April 14 but no good soloution; anyone else out there have this happen (or have a solution; I would prefer to avoid the uninstall/reinstall dance)?  Is this something that is likely to be fixed in the next update?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a similar card (an NVidia RTX2080ti), which is recognised in the current version of Photoshop V22.3.1 and works without issue.   I use NVidia's Studio driver 461.92.

You may want to try that driver. If you do, install the driver only and not the GeForce Experience rubbish that comes as an option. Also take the Advanced options in the NVidia installer and check "Clean Install. That will ensure that any remnants of the previous driver are overwritten.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the quick reply with excellent suggestions (all of which I followed), but Ps still does not recognize the NVIDIA GeForce 2070 Super.  Judging from the several other posts with similar issues, it looks like this will have to be addressed with an Ps update, I hope sooner rather than later.

Thanks again.

SR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have tried the above and do not have a second GPU installed such as is integrated GPU that could be conflicting then I would raise the issue at the link below which is monitored by Adobe developers.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave:

Yes, there is an integrated GPU.  Does your latest reply imply that the on-board GPU should be disabled somehow?  It was always "un-deactivated" when Ps was working fine using the NVIDIA GPU via PCIe.

SR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's own help pages suggest forcing Photoshop to use the dedicated GPU rather than letting it use the integrated GPU. 

It may have worked in the past, but changes are pushing more and more functionality to the GPU.

I'm answering this from my phone but will add a link to those pages when I get back in the office.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; will have to try this tonight as I will need to re-boot as an admin to do this.

SR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave:

Many thanks for your thoughtful and diligent attention to my troubles.  What it took was for me to disable the on-board GPU, and now Ps has no choice but to recognize (and use!) the NVIDIA card.  I first tried using the NVIDIA Control Panel, following the instructions in item #7 in the link that you kindly provided in your prior reply, but that part of the Adobe Support page for GPU troubleshooting is somewhat out-of-date, as the screenshot it showed was not the same as on my (current/recent) version, but I went to the parameter that most closely matched what the Adobe support page suggested and chose the NVIDIA card instead of the "global" setting (which defaulted to the NVIDIA card anyway); this was unsuccessful, even after a re-boot.  As I mentioned above, what worked is disabling the on-board GPU via Device Manager in Windows Control Panel.

This is an easy workaround, but my Ouija Board indicates that there will be another Ps update to fix this sometime soon given how many other folks have the same problem with a variety of GPUs.

Many thanks again for pinpointing the issue.

SR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frustrated until I read these posts. Disabling onboard GPU (keeping my NVIDIA) worked for me too!

Hoping it stays this way!

Many Thanks,

Rees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo, seit dem letzten PH update auf 22.3.1 unterstützt PH nicht mehr die GPU AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT . AMD Treiber sind aktuell 21.3.2. Die alte Version PH 22.3.0 untzerstützt die GPU fehlerfrei. Version 22.3.1 nicht.

ich habe 22.3.1 wird entfertnt und verwende wieder die alte Version 22.3.0. dann geht es wieder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm running on an GTX1050ti and tryed everything mentioned on this topic but nothing seemed to solve my problem.

Adobe I hope you read this - please fix this problem asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The latest Photoshop update v22.3.1 has been doing this to many video cards on Windows 10.

See this thread for the discussion and ideas on how to remedy it.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/ps-cant-detect-gpu/607682f11c425363485a1bcc?p...

My fix was to roll back to 23.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines