• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphics cards to use the acceleration feature in PS

Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My basic PC is an Ryzen 7 3700x 8 core CPU on an Asus Prime x570-P MoBo with 16Gb DDR4 Ram.

I currently have an Nvidia Quadro K2200 GPU which has 4Gb DDR5 ram built in. I am thinking of upgrading to a more modern card to give me a bit more editing speed on larger files taking full advantage of the Graphics Acceleration feature in PS. Does anyone in the Adobe PS world have any suggestions? Price is a consideration but don't hold back on ideas. I am targeting this post at this forum as I have no interest in playing games and most of the techie forums seem to assume that is all anyone does and all the advice is based on that premiss. Advice / suggestions from like minded users would be infinitely more valuable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At present, Photoshop is not a heavy user of the GPU. Whether that will change in the future, only Adobe know and they tend not to release their future plans.

I recently moved from a GTX1080 (8GBVRAM 2560 Cuda cores) to an RTX2080ti (11GBVRAM 4352 Cuda cores 48 RT cores). I saw a massive difference in render times in Blender 3D, which is why I changed the card. I did not notice a difference in Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't change that card yet. It was released in 2014, so it's not that old. The current P-series has only been mainstream for two or three years.

This isn't (as Dave points out) a question of increased performance with higher-speced cards. You don't get that. It's more a question of whether it supports the required standards, and that depends as much on the driver as the hardware (up to a point).

In other words, it either works or it doesn't. You just want a reasonable amount of VRAM - but with 4GB you should be good for the foreseeable future.

I have a P2000 with 5GB in this machine here at work, and a P600 with 2GB in my home machine. Frankly I've never noticed any difference, and otherwise those two machines are almost identically configured.

A much more immediate problem is buggy drivers. That's quite unpredictable, but Quadros are specifically targeted for graphics/3D/CAD, not for gaming. They are more expensive than GeForces at similar specs, and I like to think that price difference buys you something 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GTX and RTX drivers are pretty good since Nvidia started releasing Studio drivers. They are updated less often than the gaming drivers and as a result are better tested for graphics, CGI, CAD etc

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"They are updated less often than the gaming drivers"

Yeah, that's a good sign. Actually, I have a feeling that most of the driver problems right now are with AMD/MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When version 21.2 came out it caused a lot of older GPU's not been detecting by Photoshop, it happened to me, originally I had an old AMD GPU on my work PC and Photoshop wouldn't detect it, so upgraded that to an Nvidia Quadro p620 released in 2018 and Photoshop still wouldn't detect that either.

Posted about it on the feedback forum and was asked to test a pre-release version which was 21.2.1 before it was released to the public.

Adobe informed me that they had reverted changes they made to sniffer.exe code and that fixed the issue with my Nvidia card not been detected.

So it's not just buggy drivers causing issues with GPU's, it's also Adobe making changes to the sniffer.exe code.

The olders cards still work fine with Photoshop version 21.1.3, using the same drivers and the issues arouse after the release of 21.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, point taken. I had written off most of those as GPUs that really were too old to support current standards, but obviously a P620 should work. I have a P600 myself in my home machine, and that hasn't given me any problems in any of the updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the inputs. I will save my money for a while and concentrate on drivers updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines