Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HALFTONE PHOTOSHOP HELP please

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, 

Je vois sur Photoshop qu'il est possible de charger de nouvelles trames de demi teinte (format ahs) via le mode bitmap.

Très peu d'informations sur le web je ne sais pas comment créer un fichier ahs par moi même où via une conversion depuis png où jpg ?

Est ce que quelqu'un peut m'éclairer à ce sujet ?

Merci d'avance de vos réponses 🙂

:united_states::united_kingdom:

Hello,

I see in Photoshop that it is possible to load new halftone screens (ahs format) via bitmap mode. Very little information on the web I don't know how to create an ahs file by myself or via a conversion from png or jpg?

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thank you in advance for your answers 🙂

Elise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

You can find the forat of .ahs files here . The relevant prt:

Halftone Screens

Halftone Screens settings files are loaded and saved in Photoshop's Halftone Screens dialog (available from Edit > Print with Preview in Photoshop 7, or Page Setup or Print Options in previous versions).

Halftone screen file types

OS

Filetype/extension

Mac OS

8BHS

Windows

.AHS

Halftone screens file format

Length

Description

Version ( = 5)

4*18

Four screen descriptions. Se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

It seems like what you are looking for is PostScript Custom Spot Function. I found a rather old site that's still informative, Postscript Halftones - The Grymoire! but it doesn't say much about custom spots. He does recommend the book Real World Scanning and Halftones by David Blatner et al, which is out of print, but is excellent if you can find a copy.

You may be able to find more information in the PostScript Language Reference Manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a thread where I described the steps for creating a halftone screen from an image: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/need-help-achieving-this-photoshop-halftone-effect/td-p/113...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Myra !

But i looking for a another think because this posibility it is just for have a pattern and i really need to halphtone follow my shape in the middle with or without intensity (like wave voice)

Sorry my english

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a blur solution is white or black it is not like a wave voice. 

Rrrr sorry my english it was so old! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking for a custom screen or a traditional dot pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but i want a another shape and i need to understand how to create a ahs file 🙂

for create my own shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the forat of .ahs files here . The relevant prt:

Halftone Screens

Halftone Screens settings files are loaded and saved in Photoshop's Halftone Screens dialog (available from Edit > Print with Preview in Photoshop 7, or Page Setup or Print Options in previous versions).

Halftone screen file types

OS

Filetype/extension

Mac OS

8BHS

Windows

.AHS

Halftone screens file format

Length

Description

Version ( = 5)

4*18

Four screen descriptions. See See Halftone screen parameter structure.

Variable

For every screen that has a custom spot function, the PostScript function text is written here, one after the other, with no header information, in the same order as the screen settings. The size of each custom spot is the absolute value of its negative shape code.

Halftone screen parameter structure

Length

Description

Ink's screen frequency, in lines per inch. Binary fixed point value ;16 bits representing the integer and fractional parts from 1.0...999.999.

Units for the screen frequency. Lines per inch = 1; lines per centimeter = 2. Only affects display, not screen frequency.

Angle for screen. Binary fixed point value with 16 bits representing the integer and fractional parts from -180.0000 ... 180.0000, measured in degrees.

Code representing the shape of the halftone dots. 0 = Round; 1 = Ellipse; 2 = Line; 3 = Square; 4 = Cross; 6 = Diamond. Negative numbers represent custom shapes; the absolute value is the size in bytes of the custom spot function described in See Halftone screens file format.

= 0. Not currently used by Photoshop.

Boolean. 1 = Use accurate screens; 0 = Use other.

Boolean. 1 = Use printer's default screens; 0 = Use other.

You may want to ask in the Postscript Forum 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thanks you so much, I try tomorrow.

🤗👍🏻

Merci 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a good beginning but it is possible to create other shape in ahs file ? Because when I am on bitmap windows there is a option for upload another ahs file. And I really need other shape like a cloud or leave or wave ... ect.

😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like what you are looking for is PostScript Custom Spot Function. I found a rather old site that's still informative, Postscript Halftones - The Grymoire! but it doesn't say much about custom spots. He does recommend the book Real World Scanning and Halftones by David Blatner et al, which is out of print, but is excellent if you can find a copy.

You may be able to find more information in the PostScript Language Reference Manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you so much 🙏🏼

This answer close this FAQ. 

MERCI 🤗

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elise, please take the time to mark the actual correct answer which solved your problem as "correct", that way others can see the solution ans the thread is maked as "solved"

Elise, s'il vous plaît, prenez le temps de marquer la réponse correcte qui a résolu votre problème comme "correcte", de cette façon les autres peuvent voir la solution et le fil de discussion est considéré comme "résolu"

merci bien
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines