• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand Tool doesn't work(only when zoomed in

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically what the title says, my hand tool doest work(both when pressing H or spacebar).

Im using MacBook pro

It was working the first 30 minutes of photoshop, but then the hand tool suddenly stopped working, When I zoom in the image, the hand tool works, but when I zoom out, there will be a specific moment where the image will just click into a fit position then the hand tool stops working.

Anyone has a fix? I assume its because I accidentally clicked something in photoshop cuz it worked in the first 30 minutes

Thanks

(Also when the image clicks into a fit position, the scrollbars at the side disappear) I don't know if this extra info will help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Please try »Full Screen Mode With Menu Bar« (F) that allows for moving the image partially offscreen, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use Application Frame or Window Docking? Could you post a screenshot of after the »fitting«?

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved usually is a good starting point when faced with unexplainable Photoshop issues:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 22.31.48.png

Before the "fix to fit position thingy happens"(when it is zoomed) and this is when the hand tool can work, You can see there's the scroll at the side

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 22.31.53.png

After the "fix to fit position thingy happens" (when zoomed out) and this is when the hand tool DOESN'T work. You can see at the side there's no more scroll

Also, How do I make sure all my customised presents and shortcuts be saved?(so I can try out restoring the preferences)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the complete image is visible on screen anyway the scroll bars would not be useful and need not be displayed.

Similar for the Hand Tool – if the image is completely visible what is there to move about?

Which Presets have you customised?

If you have created your own Actions, Brushes, Swatches, Styles, Patterns, Tool Presets, … you should save them occasionally (using Preset Manager) and back those files up to make sure they don’t vanish in some mishap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though the image is visible if I need to draw and focus on one part of the image for example, the lower half, its more comfortable to center. And zooming out gives space to draw, but anyways, the full screen mode tactic works

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hand tool is absolutely handy even if you don't have scroll bars, and using full screen mode is not a very adequate fix. I regularly run into scenarios where I need to use the hand tool but can't because I'm too far zoomed out. For example, sometimes tool panels cover the resize handles of an element. Sometimes I need to have my library window open and eye-drop a colour on a now hidden part of an image.

Why is using full screen mode not a good fix? Because I'm often referring to a brief or an Illustrator/InDesign document on the other half of my screen. Switching to full screen mode is just not a good workflow and is a bandaid at best in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try »Full Screen Mode With Menu Bar« (F) that allows for moving the image partially offscreen, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not working sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, turning off graphics processor in preferences>performance doesn't do it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And full-screen doesn't allow for having multiple reference files easily accessable or visible. The only way to make the Hand tool function as it should is to zoom the image massively big. If you want more than 1 file visible at a time, drag them off of the top bar so that they're free floating, zoom them up, to a size where the hand tool works again, then resize the image window so you're centered on a close-up on part of the image. - All very unsatisfactory though, anybody know of an actual fix, for a tool that's always worked before in all previous versions of pre-CC photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Raaayy! sorted with a Reset of Preferences after all! many apologies foe doubting you C. Pfaffenbichler! I've been suffering the lack of a working Hand tool for months! I Shall be able to play the violin again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is called Overscroll. Go to Photoshop > Preferecnes (Edit > Preferences on windows) > Tools  > check the box for Overscrool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK YOU VERY MUCH, YOU ARE A GOD!!!!! THIS IS WHAT WAS HAPPENING!!!! GSUS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5 and there is no Tools under Preferences. The hand tool is not scrolling all the way at any size and is driving me nuts. I work on a 32" tablet and like working to the left and middle of it as that is how I'm set up keeping my layers window to the right. It really slows me down. Is there any way you can change this in CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent work - this was the fix I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines