• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand Tool won't work in Photoshop 2020 with spacebar

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 2020,  when zoomed in and using the Lasso tool and wishing to engage the Hand tool (by pressing the spacebar) the Hand tool doesn't work.

Here is some addtional information that may be relevant.

I  have both Photoshop 2020  and Photoshop cc 2019 installed on my computer (Windows 10).  The  Hand tool works fine with Photoshop cc 2019.  

..If I open Photoshop by clicking on a file (rather than opening Photoshop first), a JPEG file always will open with Photoshop 2020, even when I select  Photoshop cc 2019.

..In Photoshop cc 2019 the hand tool works with the lasso plus spacebar regardless of what other apps are open.  With Photoshop 2020, it doesn't work with the lasso tool plus spacebar under any circumstances.

I realize that the short term solution may be "use Photoshop cc 2019",  but I am wanting to get this fixed realizing that about a year from now "Photoshop cc 2019" may not be available to me.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Which 2020 version are you using I dropped back to version 21.0.3  I had major problems with 21.1.0. If you have a Wacom Pen I would advise you to use 21.0.3

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting the preferences in Photoshop 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I looked in prefrences and couldn't find anything that looked like it might help.  I found something in one of the links provided that suggested holding down down shift, cntrl, alt while starting the adobe app (in this case Photoshop 2020) and that didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more comment.  I looked up how to reset preferences.  I  changed two or three preferences (then clicked "change preferences on quit"  to assure that the reset was effective.  Upon quitting and restarting, the changed preferences went to original settings,  confirming that the preference reset worked.  Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem of the hand tool not appearing when scrolling and pressing the spacebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which 2020 version are you using I dropped back to version 21.0.3  I had major problems with 21.1.0. If you have a Wacom Pen I would advise you to use 21.0.3

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!!!!

That (switching back to version 21.0.3) did the trick.

I also noticed that prior to switching back that the lasso turned to a white box when I pressed the spacebar.  To me, this indicates that the program itself (21.1.0) might have an inherent problem , like it didn't know what tool to switch to.

Hopefully, presuming the software has a problem, Adobe will recognize/correct before the next version comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated and same issue. I went into preferences for keystrokes and it won't let me reset hand tool to spacebar. I'm generally OK with changes but this one is crazy. My job requires me to cut a lot of images and a lot of images fast and the spacebar helps me navigate the canvas quickly. Now I have to hit 'h' which is not at all as intuitive than spacebar. 

Adobe - please at least let us assign spacebar as the keystroke. No idea why this would be overlooked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you move back to the previous version?

Edit: Switching back to 21.03 did not fix the problem for me, the spacebar still does not bring up the hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I tried every possible action. There's no way apparently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Using PS 2020 v21.0.1 and 21.0.3 the hand tool doesn't appear when pressing spacebar (while another tool is selected.) I tried PS CC2015 v2015.0.1 and the same problem occurs.

The only new thing I've added to my computer is Character Animator 3.2, I wonder if that is causing issues?

I tried disabling Siri, that didn't help. I don't have webroot on my mac so far as I can tell.

I'm running on a MBP 15" Retina Mid-2015 under Mojave 10.14.5

Bummer about this; it's such an indispensable tool that's become ingrained in my muscle memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried in every way and I still not find a solution after months. I tried to close every apps, plugins, processes in the MacOS monitoring app, reinstalling Photoshop 21.0.3.

Nothing solves the problem, every Adobe CC app (except AE) has the same problem, the hand tool with spacebar doesn't work.

I solve it only restarting the mac, but without any warning, after few minutes or hours or days, the problem starts again.

Then it goes away on his own, then returns, and again again again.

Please, if someone as found a solution let me know. A repeat, it happens with Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. Only AE works.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm using PS 21.1.2 and the problem still isn't fixed. How do I get the spacebar to be my shortcut for the hand tool? Anybody figure this out?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue is happening in MacOS Catalina on 21.2.3 — restarting is the only workaround working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in MacOS Catalina on PS 21.2.3!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using versin 21.1.2 and bont have a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem. It appeared that another application was using the same keyboard combination. In my case Siri was the culprit. I switched it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it work after you turned Siri off?

Tina Davidson
703-403-1131
www.TinaDavidsonPhotography.com
www.AlteredStatesPhotography.com
Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so hopeful but that did not work for me : ( 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestion on same issue on Windows?

No way to get this combination to work again.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started having this issue as well. MacBook pro 2016; mOS 10.15.5; PS 21.2.

I was using the legacy rendering engine, so toggled that off. Afterwards, using spacebar produces the message in my screenshot. Spacebar is now attempting to manipulate the layer; not pan it. 

Dropped down to PS 21.0.3, but the problem persists, and result are the same on either rendering engine.

But scrubby zoom still works fine...

the Wacom driver is the same, the latest offered. I don't see what else could have changed. It is… annoying.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 18.37.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be something… may be nothing… back on 21.2 and my hand tool is working again after making these changes to preferences/performance…

preferences / performancepreferences / performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I got the same issue. Mine started today.

Running on a macbook pro Mojave and v 21.1 of photoshop.

Nothing I tried works. At first I thought it might be a wacom tablet driver conflict. Nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

August 31st and this is STILL happening!!!  This is absolutely FRUSTRATING, Adobe! Fix this issue PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  This was also driving me absolutely nuts which is what brought me to this forum.  I finally solved it by updating my Wacom Tablet.  I didn't realize it needed a software update and a firmware update.  Thankfully that did the trick (for me)! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so the space bar breaking in the lastest ps is bc of wacom drivers?

its almost the only keyboard short cut i use in ps. so irritated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines