• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble cutting out an object with little to no contrast with background.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am having trouble cutting out a silver bracelet from a grey background. I have tried numerous methods magic wand, quick select but none seem to work, and I don't want to have to cut the item out manually as will take far to long. Is there an easier method that I can create contrast to make it easier to use the magic wand then revert the colours back to their original state? 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. The grey levels are almost evenly distributed, so any adjustment that you could throw on will only bring out the extremes and clip away the rest. That said, it seems simple enough to do with the magnetic lasso. True, it's only semi-automatic and will still take some extra fixing, but to be honest I've had to work with worse sources in my 30 years in the graphics industry. It's just a matter of sitting down for half an hour and finding the patience.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mylenium, I thought that might be the case. I have done plenty of rings using the pen tool then dragging whilst holding the option key to create a nice curve but nothing as complex as a bracelet. I tried using a darker background so I could use the magic wand but just looked odd when placed on a white background. I suppose I'll get stuck in then :).

Thank you for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can lower the tolerance on the magic wand. It will require more clicks, and that may help.

Before using the Magic Wand, the Select > Subject command will give you a start.

However, sometimes what seems like the longer technique is actually the shorter one by the time you fiddle around trying to make a good selection with lesser methods.

With difficult selections I end up using the Pen tool It is the most time-consuming but  the accurate method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I have tried lowering the tolerance but always goes within the subject due to matching tones. I'm going to give the pen tool ago, I am quite familiar with it so shouldn't take me to long, and as you said its the most accurate.

Thank you for your response 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines