• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble with hand tool and marquee tool.

Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rectengular marquee tool is not selecting the area I want. The selection snaps to a different place instead.

I like to use hand tool via space bar but lately, every time I do it, it also snaps to a different place and eventually the preview crashes. I can still save (thank god) but I have to close the file and reopen it to work on it.

The video demonstrates both of these problems. I don't know whats causing it and how to fix it.

Please help me.

I have updated my photoshop cc to the latest version, Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.1

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Hi did you tried to reset preferences of Photoshop and check?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've been able to resolve this - and other accumulating Adobe problems in my life - by uninstalling the entire CC suite and using the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to ensure that when reinstalled it goes in clean. So far, I feel like I have some of my life back and comes highly recommended!

Make sure you follow the instructions on the Creative Cloud Cleaner download page so that everything you need is backed up, and file away your workspace, tools & presets so that you can import them again after installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rectangular marquee tool stops selecting the area I want after 45 minutes. The selection snaps to a different place instead. Same with the horizontal type tool. This is with PS 23.5 in Sept 2022. I have spoken to Support three times. They have reset preferences, reinstalled PS, and given me instructions about my Display Resolution and labeled the problem "solved." The problem comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next time it happens, check to see if your Wacom tablet has fallen asleep. Sometimes the marquee tool malfunctions when the tablet falls asleep. Try waking up the tablet and trying the marquee tool again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently its November, 2023 and issues described here are still extremely prevalent. 

I'm in IT and have classes of people using photoshop and we have this issue constantly.

Resetting prefs is NOT A FIX

Disabling Graphics processing is NOT A FIX

Uninstalling and reinstalling CC or PS is NOT A FIX

Deleting preferences folders/reverting to defaults is NOT A FIX

Crazy a billion dollar company cant fix the most trivial of issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Resetting prefs is NOT A FIX
It IS if your preferences are borked.

Disabling Graphics processing is NOT A FIX

It IS if your drivers or GPU is incapable.

> Uninstalling and reinstalling CC or PS is NOT A FIX

It is if your CC installation is borked.

>Deleting preferences folders/reverting to defaults is NOT A FIX

see my first comment. 

Keep in mind, you're commenting on a 2 year old post, the last reply to which came over a year ago.  If you're experiencing these issues today, there's probably something else wrong.   Try the solutions you've discredited... 

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines