Help- Combing photos from LR to PS using the Color replacement tool. ERROR

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Lightroom I am selecting 3 photos of a bird taking off for flight and want to combine the 3 pictures into one. I highlight the 3 photos in LR and right click and select "edit in" and then select "open as layers in photoshop. Photoshop opens up and I add a vector mask to each photo. I then select the mask and want to use the brush tool to color in the other 2 birds into one picture. However when I select the mask I keep getting an error " Could not use the Color replacement tool because it only works in full color modes." In the photo shop settings under IMAGE and mode RGB color is selected and 16/Bits/Channel is selected.

The color space setting in LR is set at ProPhoto RGB

Any help I cant seem to figure this one out..

Thanks in advance!

jIMG_9825.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yoiu have posted this in a subspace of th Captivate forum. I will move it to the Lightroom forum

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michaelk,

Could you please let us know what color mode are you working in? You can check that by going to Image > Mode.

If you're not working in the RGB mode, then try changing the color mode to RGB and let us know if it helps.

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in RGB. I spent 2.5 hours on a call with Adobe yesterday where they remotely accessed my computer and were stumped. Seems like a glitch. The call has been escalated and they told me someone would be contacting me today or tomorrow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share a full screenshot with us?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_9839.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that there are layer masks applied to the layers, the reason for the error message is that when you are painting on a mask you are in grey scale mode for the mask. For instance, if you paste a colored layer into a mask, it will be converted to grey scale.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to combine 3 photos of the bird taking off into one picture. Every video I watch they click on the mask and use the color replacement tool to paint in the bird from the previous layer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the image mode to 8 Bit as I see that you're working in 16 bit mode, there are several features which doesn't work in 16 bit Image mode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have tried everything, it does not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelk32857850  wrote

Every video I watch they click on the mask and use the color replacement tool to paint in the bird from the previous layer?

You cannot use the color replacement tool on a mask. I don't know where that comes from. The tool paints in color blend mode, and the color blend mode doesn't even apply in a mask, which is a monochrome image.

In a mask you use the ordinary brush tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And BTW color replacement is an extremely crude tool where you have with very little control. I have never even looked at it until now and can't imagine I ever will again...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not stated (or I overlooked) version of Lightroom, and Photoshop.

even so,

If these are the latest of Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC, then a known issue exists. Sending image(d) from LR to PS results in some menu items, and probably functions, being grayed out.

Two workarounds exist.

start OS before sending it an image from LR

or

in PS, preferences, disable the home screen

if your nit using CC, nether mind...

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.3, PS 21.2; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.5; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CC 19.1.7 Release and using  ADOBE PHOTOSHOP LIGHTROOM CLASSIC CC 7.5 Release.

I have opened Photoshop prior to sending over images as layers from LR to PS. Still does not work.

I cannot find where the "disable home screen" is in preferences.. Is it under "general"??

Thanks for your suggestions. I had someone from Adobe tech support try and fix it by remotely accessing my computer and they could not figure it out either..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution does not apply to your versions.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.3, PS 21.2; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.5; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounding like a PS issue, have you posted this issue in the PS forum?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure how to do that... can one of the moderators do that for me?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My method to layer objects is this- (may not be the best way!!!)

1. Add a Layer Mask (white)  to the topmost layers above the Background layer,

2. Select the mask

3. With a standard Brush -paint 'black' on the mask- to temporarily 'hide'  the object you want visible.

4. Now Invert the Mask  [Ctrl+i ]

You could use Selection  tools to create the Layer Masks!

ScreenShot188.jpg  ScreenShot189.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.3, Lightroom 3.3, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.0), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Im getting the same error, Please help me to solve it.

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines