HELP - 'Export As' function not working, 'can't export to this location'

Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really dead in the water without the 'export as' function, but as of this morning, it's suddenly not working.  Whenever I attempt to use 'export as', I select my options (doesn't matter what I select here), then the second I hit the Export button, I get this error popup: 'Can't export to this location. Select another location and continue'. Er ... this is the step *before* I select a location, so I can't change it. In my preferences, I have the option checked for asking about location to save. Changing this and restarting doesn't help. Nothing helps.

Upgrading to the newly released 22.4 version didn't help, either. I've got major deadlines and am collaborating with folks, all of whom need to see interim steps of the project, so I really need to fix this asap. I suppose I could de-install and reinstall Photoshop? 

Oh, and this is all happening on my iMac ... I can give any other info on request.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Explorer , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021
SOLVED: I held down Option+Command+Shift as I restarted Photoshop, and it asked me if I wanted to delete my preferences, I said OK and everything now seems to be fine. First time I've had to use that function in years. Whew!!

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences > Export,  down at the bottom of the dialogue, what is set under Export As location :

Is it :

- Export assets to the location of the current document

or

- Export assets to the last location specified

Either way - try the other

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Dave. Yes, I've tried both options, closing the app and reopening, trying again ... same error message. First thing I tried.

Everything was working fine until this morning. I've been working at a furious pace, so this is a hard stop for me. There's nothing wrong with my disk drive - I've tested it, and still have huge amounts of free space. All I can think is that it must be trying to access some incorrect location? I wouldn't know how to change that. But, still, if I've got the option checked off for it to ask me each time about where to save, I should at least get to that dialog. It never gets beyond the Export As screen. I think something must have gotten screwed up in the app files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED: I held down Option+Command+Shift as I restarted Photoshop, and it asked me if I wanted to delete my preferences, I said OK and everything now seems to be fine. First time I've had to use that function in years. Whew!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it solved 🙂

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here with PS 22.4.1

I can't export if I go deeper into the file structure. it works if I export to the "Desktop" but not if I go into my projects file structure.

I've tried cmd+option+shift and deleted the settings. but nothing changed.

It's very frustrating to export to the desktop and move the files later into the correct location.

Any help appreciated!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines