Help needed with Black & White process

Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying for weeks to replicate the chromey look you often see on female models skin without success.

The nearest I have come is using the gradient map with a high contrast but it just produces a greyish image without that lovely chrome/metallic look in the image I have attached below.

Would greatly appreciate any advice in achieving this effect.

Using a Mac with Photoshop 2021

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help needed with Black & White process

Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying for weeks to replicate the chromey look you often see on female models skin without success.

The nearest I have come is using the gradient map with a high contrast but it just produces a greyish image without that lovely chrome/metallic look in the image I have attached below.

Would greatly appreciate any advice in achieving this effect.

Using a Mac with Photoshop 2021

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see an attachment. 

Also please post an image you want to edit thusly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, here is the image that did not post

for

13.jpegHelp needed with Black & White process

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered the lighting this was shot in?

A smallish softbox fairly close to the model, slightly to the left and above the camera, will give this effect. Plus a reflector and a light on the right to highlight the shoulder.

The art of photography has been in sharp decline for a while. These days, people think everything is "just Photoshop". And while it is a fantastic tool that can do a lot of things, most of them are much more efficiently and quickly done on the spot. Ten minutes rigging lights, vs. four hours in Photoshop...or as in your case, weeks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 2
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate that the lighting setup will produce a similar effect. This lighting is one of the few I use

to get that nice wrap around softness but I still cannot get that metallic/silver/chrome type finish. My images are similar to the one posted but end up looking like a nice soft B&W image without the chromey type glow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post one of those unedited images (or part thereof)? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry I do not have an image that was taken with that lighting setup at the moment that I could post, the only recent images suitable are exclusive to a client.

Apart from the lighting setup, can you offer any ideas in Photoshop to create that look, a preset or LUT or plain good old adjustments.

As I mentioned previously it appears to be better with higher contrast and the B&W conversion done with a gradient map adjustment layer.

Many thanks for your interest in helping.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smoothing, Frequency Separation, large-scale oversharpening, touch-up, …

The approaches depend on the image, so without the image in question (or a relevant section of it) it seems close to pointless to discuss this. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020 0