• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP. Paint bucket is dumping a lighter color. What's the fix?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time I've experienced this issue. I select a color with the eye dropper tool, and then when I go to use the paint bucket tool, the color it dumps is a lighter color. I'm getting a flag that reads "Warning: Out of gamut for printing"

I need to make a CMYK document, but I'm experiencing the same issue whether I'm in CMYK or RGB. Document is needed in a few hours. HELP!!!

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum by a moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lounge Forum is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum... A program would be Photoshop or Dreamweaver or Muse or Premiere Pro or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue with Photoshop. I'm totally lost in all of the threads and forums for troubleshooting support. (and now panicking) where/how can I fix this problem? do I need to completely uninstall and reinstall Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the shift in color: confirm that the eyedropper sample size is not too large and including a lighter area and the Paint Bucket Options bar is set to 100% opacity. Confirm the Mode is Normal, as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sample field is definitely large enough. What's happening is I select a color, and then when I use the paint bucket tool, it dumps a different, duller version of the color I had picked.

I uninstalled and re-installed the Photoshop and am still having the same problem. (Never encountered this issue before)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also seeing an exclamation point in a triangle next to my color field choice that reads "Warning: out of gamut for printing"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot of the warning I'm seeing when I select a color. The top color is the one I want, the bottom color is the one the paint bucket tool dumps when I use it.

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 2.41.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color space is your document... cmyk or rgb? Guessing it is cmyk - change it to rgb and the exclamation point will go away. You only need to be in cmyk if your document is being printed and even then you can work in RGB and use the color conversion engine in Acrobat to convert when generating high resolution print pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I recently had this same issue in Photoshop. I was finally able to fix the issue by going to the paint bucket "mode" on the top bar and I changed it from "vivid light" to "normal". It has worked great and hasn't given me a problem since I changed it. I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a 3 year old thread, but for anyone in the future here to fix this issue, like me:

MAKE SURE YOUR OPACITY IS 100% 

I spent what felt like 30 minutes perusing settings and changing things when my color opacity was set to 11%, make sure this isn't the case for you!Screenshot_47_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the below replies, I just found another solution to the same problem.  My colour space was already set to RGB, paint bucket mode "normal" opacity 100%, but still getting the duller colour painted by the paint bucket tool.  Solution: Changed mode to CMYK (without merging layers) then changed back to RGB (again without merging).  Hey presto, paint bucket now paints with the full strength blue 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All this (the whole thread) is caused by a lack of understanding what "out of gamut" means. It means the color can't be reproduced in the target color space, and the nearest reproducible color substituted.

BTW - "RGB"  and "CMYK" are not color spaces. A color space is sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB, US Web Coated (SWOP), Coated FOGRA39, etc etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow. Very helpful 👏👏👏. What's crazy is I'm pretty sure you're supposed to give solutions to these problems instead of using big words the average user shouldn't be expected to know. Hmm maybe I just don't understand help threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines