• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Photoshop CS6 hangs when using brush, clone, healing brush tools etc on Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a big problem when using the new CS6 on my Mac (os x 10.7.4). When switching to a new tool, like a brush, or clone stamp, or healing brush etc, Photoshop hangs for about 20 seconds before resuming. It's not 3rd party plug-ins, because I get the same behaviour when I run using the shift key and third party plug-ins are disabled. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently. I've heard that others have had similar problems... are there any solutions - is it a known bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 405 Replies 405
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, Chris - just to reiterate - if you'd like remote control of my machine, to see what's up, I'd happily offer it...although I worry if it's my wacom tablet then your remote control of my tools won't replicate the problem. But there's enough people suffering for this to be a genuinely big problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam - any progress on finding a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still actively working on trying to figure out the cause/solution to this.  If anyone is game to try some test builds for me, contact me directly at my first initial+last name at adobe dot com.

Thanks!

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I used the brush tools a lot when I'm masking layers. Photoshop CS6 (on Mac) freezes for around a minute at the most inconvenient moments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news about this being addressed in 13.0.1? Please please please let it be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI the build date of the actual code in 13.0.1 was August 8, 2012.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know this sounds somewhat similar to what I see happen all the time in CS5 as well. I'll open a document and attempt to drag something into another document, but will get a 'document locked' or some such warning, and switching  to the desktop and back fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam, is there any updated progress on this?

I've been experiencing this issue frequently on both my machines running PS CS6 (both with Wacom tablets).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do happen to have an update

We have some users who have reported the following:

Tonight I disabled the middle button for Ps in Wacom prefs and I've been able to actually use the brush for a whole 30 minutes now without a hang!

Please give this a try and report back if it helps.

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this hang on 2 machines now, neither of which has the wacom drivers (or tablet) installed.  One aging iMac (8,1) and one more recent powerbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and fwiw, the middle button on the mighty mouse was disabled on the powerbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling the middle button didn't help here, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I have just tried this (disabling the middle button of my pen in Wacom prefs). Unfortunately this didn't help at all. In fact the first time I went to use the brush tool it froze again

Is there any other information I could provide you to assist?

cheers,

Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my work around solution. 

When it starts the infamous "Hang"...

1. Command + Tab and select other applications that are open.  I usually choose Chrome since I have the internet open all the time. 

2. Command + Tab back to Photoshop

This has been the only way that's been working for me, other wise, I have to wait anywhere close up to 30 sec until the selected option works.

Peace out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the same workaround as Torokun28 - sometimes it takes a few tries, going to various open apps then back to PS before I get control back - it's a pita though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working around it by selecting another app then back into PS a couple of times and it unlocks as suggested above. I also try to use the mouse before using the pen if I've been out of PS as this also seemed to be a cause. I've ordered a new tablet (I am currently using an intuos 3) to see if that fixes it and will get back with results in a couple of days when it arrives. I now find myself trying to find other apps to use instead of PS for quickie jobs but invariably they just frustrate me and the job takes far longer! I do hope we get a fix soon... are you listening adobe?... hello...  hellooo!

Ah. I see Adam returned while I was typing...

I'll try the 2gb thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly certain it is a Wacom issue. I turned on my Apple mouse and grabbed the lasso and it worked right away. Went back to my stylus and all has been good, at least with lasso. Will try dodge and burn shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sean b99 wrote:

I now find myself trying to find other apps to use instead of PS for quickie jobs but invariably they just frustrate me and the job takes far longer! I do hope we get a fix soon... are you listening adobe?... hello...  hellooo!

Ah. I see Adam returned while I was typing...

I'll try the 2gb thing

Well I have to use PSCS5 to get most of my work done if I need to use the tools that have these delays in PSCS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean - curious to hear if you have same problem once you get the new tablet - do report back. I also have Intuos 3, like you....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using an Intuos 3 at the start of this thread, since then I've upgraded to an Intuos 5 (lovely by the way) and still have the hanging issue. Tried the tablet via USB and wifi, neither of which made a difference to the hanging.

This seems to be worse on larger/more complictad images. I'm currently working on an illustration of around 500mb with 100+ layers, nearly every time a tool is selected = hang.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working almost exclusively on web resolution files so I don't think it is necessarily byte-related. Sorry to hear the Intuos 5 didn't help. I was considering that as an option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the hang with no Wacom drivers at all. I do use Usb overdrive

though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USB Overdrive hasn't been updated since 2009 so this might just be out of date software doing stuff under the hood which it shouldn't be - it might not be related to this issue. I'm interested to hear what device you are using with PS though, is it a mouse, trackball?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a logitech mouse. M510, if it matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines