• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help placing light object on dark background without background affecting the light colours?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018

Windows 19

Hi All.

First time posting here so be kind.

I have been wrestling with this issue for a few days and web searches have been unable to offer a solution so I wondered if a kind soul here may be able to put me on the corrct path (pun intended).

I have Logo that I have designed using pastel colours that I wish to place over a darker single colour background but when I place the background it shows through the logo affecting the colours. The effect is as if I have turned the opacity of the logo layer down to say 50%. ( I have checked at its set at 100%).

This is the process I have tried:

To create the logo I used various different layers which were all merged down to a single layer when I was happy with the logo and its set to Normal.

I then used the Magic Wand Tool to remove the background space around the logo (select > delete).

I then added a new layer and using the Paint Bucket tool filled it with my choice of background colour. 

In the layers tab the logo is the top of the list with the background below it.

When I make the background layer visable it shows through the logo instead of being blocked out.

I tried changing the Logo from Multiply to Normal and this does stop the background showing through but it leaves a 3 or 4 pixel thick white outline around the logo which is quite noticable.

The reason for this my be due to the fact that the outside edges of the logo are not hard edges, they are graduated so the the edge fades from colour to transparant and I believe that when I use the Magic Selection Tool Photoshop is placing the "marching ants" at the very edge of the graduation.

What I am trying to achieve is that Photoshop allows the background to show through the graduation but only upto where the logo colours become solid.

I hope this makes sense and any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload your logo file so we can examine it. It sounds like the file supports transparency and the logo  has pixels with low opacity. less then 100%.  A layer's opacity  can be 100%  however pixels in the layer can have opacity less the 100%.  Placing an logo like that on an image will blend  with the images colors and change the appearance of your logo. Blending modes  opacity and fill  and layer styles can even change the appearance of 100% opaque logos.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack

Thank you for your reply and kind offer to take a look at this issue for me.

As the project file is 74mb I am uploading it to google drive and I will provide a link to it once the upload is complete.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

paqstel vig.jpg

I found this random sample image via Google. When used as shown above, it has full value colors and a vignette extended into a darker background, something akin to your art, judging from your description. The result may be merged down into one layer.

For this effect, the Blend If command is used as shown. By using the Option key, and clicking and dragging the left side of the top right marker you control the degree of vignette into the darker panel.

This approach may be adaptable to your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines