• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! The colorizing tool isn't working!

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm following a tutorial provided by my com tech teacher, but I've run into an issue.

The tutorial states the following:

• Find an old photo to use. I googled: Old Black and white photos.
  • Open it in Photoshop

Bri5CF8_0-1619026365454.png

• Create a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer for the first color you will add

Bri5CF8_1-1619026364227.png

• Check the Colorize box to add color. Adjust the sliders until you find the right color for the part you are coloring. In this case, I am adding color to the face and arms, so I will choose a skin tone color.

Bri5CF8_2-1619026364232.png

• Select your paint bucket tool and check to make sure it is set to black. Click on the picture and the colour should disappear. 

Bri5CF8_3-1619026365867.png

• Next select the brush tool and flip the colour to white. This will allow you to paint the color back in where you want it to appear. 

Bri5CF8_4-1619026364209.png

• If you paint in color where you don’t want it, you can always flip the colour back to black and it lets you paint the color back out.
  • For each new colour you want to add, add a new hue/saturation layer.

Bri5CF8_5-1619026365468.png

The problem is, when I get to the step where you use the paintbucket tool, nothing happens. I'm really not sure why, because as far as I can tell I'm following the instructions correctly. Weirdly enough, it did work the first time but then it stopped working when I created a second hue/saturation layer. I even tried resetting the whole document to retry, but it still refused to work. If anyone could help me figure out the problem, I'd really appreciate it. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select the layer mask, not the adjustment layer then just use Edit/Fill to convert the mask to black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines