• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! very strange colors on all pictures in photoshop.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i recently calibrated my screen on my Dell xps 15 9560 with 4k display and windows 10. everything looked good then i opened Photoshop and my images look very strange, but only in Photoshop. when viewing them outside photoshop  they look fine. here's some pictures i took of the screen with my phone :

this is what the picture looks like when i view it in windows :

image1.jpeg

and what it looks like in photoshop :

image2.jpeg

please help me i don't know what to do!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whatever, i'll edit ithis out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any actual info about things like color management/ color profiles, GPU acceleration settings etc. nobody can tell you much. Simply looks like you are exhausting those resources and thus the display runs in quirks mode.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

What are Photoshop’s Edit > Color Settings?

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7044

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a broken monitor profile. Photoshop is color managed and uses the profile. Many windows applications (you don't say which application you used to view in "windows) are not color managed and ignore the monitor profile.

You say you recently "calibrated" your screen. Do you mean calibrated and profiled using a hardware device? If so, try recreating the profile and if given the choice choose Matrix and Version 2 as the  profile type.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i used spyder 5 express to calibrate with the software that came with. it then created an icc profile that i applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it then created an icc profile that i applied.

Just to make sure: To what did you apply the profile – the image in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the color management settings of windows. Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem only started after i applied this new icc profile. i tried all the different profiles but the problems still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE. sometimes,the problems stops momentarily and the image look fine. then suddenly the colors become strange again without me having touched any setting at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE i figured a way to make the colors OK. If i select " discard the embedded profile" then the colors become normal again. Now i'm

wondering why do i have to do this? are some of my setting wrong? ill include a screenshot of my settings in color management

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you should ever use a monitor profile as a working space. Try North American General or North American Prepress settings.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you that worked! have a good one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE i figured a way to make the colors OK. If i select " discard the embedded profile" then the colors become normal again.

What was the embedded profile?

Discarding embedded profiles is highly inadvisable!

I'm not sure you should ever use a monitor profile as a working space.

Again: Highly inadvisable!

This basically makes a mockery of Color Management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to take a step backward.

Set you Photoshop colour settings as below.

Working space  sRGB IEC1966-2.1.or  Adobe RGB (1998)  (The Adobe space can contain a wider range of colours but you will always need to convert to sRGB when saving pictures for use on the Web  so sRGB IEC1966-2.1 is safer until you learn more about colour management)

Color Management Policies -Set all three to Preserve Embedded Profiles.

The monitor profile is set in Windows - nowhere else. Type Colour Management into the windows search bar and set your profile as the default for your monitor (if it is not listed click Add and select it).

That is it - The Colour Management System will take of the rest. If your colours are still off then you have a broken profile and need to rebuild it.

Colours in non colour managed applications may still look different to Photoshop. That is because they are not colour managed and therefore can display the wrong colours

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colours in non colour managed applications may still look different to Photoshop. That is because they are not colour managed and therefore can display the wrong colours

And that seems to be like a wall with many forehead-prints on it …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make the point perfectly clear:

Setting working RGB to Monitor RGB disables all color management. Your monitor profile is now bypassed and ignored, and Photoshop is dumbed down to the level of any other application that doesn't support color management.

Don't ever set working RGB to Monitor. It's a legacy setting that only survives for some very special circumstances, but Photoshop isn't designed to work this way.

If your monitor profile is broken, as yours very obviously is - make a new one with a calibrator, or if you don't have one use sRGB until you do. sRGB isn't accurate, but it should be close enough for non-critical use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot seems to clearly show you are NOT USING the new profile Made by the Spyder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine why anyone would choose that as an example image, but what do I know...

But yes, it's a broken monitor profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its just the picture i had at the moment. sorry if i offended you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i "fix" a broken monitor profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE ; problem is solved! with a few of everyones advice i managed to make it work, im adobe RGB colorspace, which is the one i used for my camera. thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines