Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help with layers

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i just want to ask something.

i have saved my file in a jpg format and lost all my layers and i still have to work on it. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021
Hi, JPGs doesn’t accept layers. Save your file as a PSD-file and then make a copy as JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

You need to pay attention to the dialogs you get. Photoshop never discards data without explicit user confirmation.

When you have a layered file, and save to a format that doesn't support layers, Photoshop will save out a flattened copy. But look in your Layers panel - the full layered original is still open! It's the one you still have on your screen. If you close that without saving, it's gone. Just like any other file that you close without saving.

save.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, JPGs doesn’t accept layers. Save your file as a PSD-file and then make a copy as JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i was working in a psd format and then saved it in a jpg format then close the window and now i lost all my layers.. could it be posible to find a solution for having my layers again?

thanks for your answer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to pay attention to the dialogs you get. Photoshop never discards data without explicit user confirmation.

When you have a layered file, and save to a format that doesn't support layers, Photoshop will save out a flattened copy. But look in your Layers panel - the full layered original is still open! It's the one you still have on your screen. If you close that without saving, it's gone. Just like any other file that you close without saving.

save.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes this is correct. Sorry if you proceeded than layer is gone. But if file is still opened you can go to history window and backup, thus allowing you to save the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You only option is if you actually did an initial save as a PSD. If so, that version of the PSDis on your drive somewhere? If not, you will have to start over and follow all of the correct advice that was give in this forum. .  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines