Highlighted

Help with newspaper photo

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this is my first post in the forum. I have an old scanned newspaper of my Grandfather when he was in the Army WW2. Its the only photo we have of him.

I am hoping to make it clearer for the family? Is this possible to do?

I am very new to Photoshop and still learning I am happy to do it if I can get some easy to read instructions.

Thank you for any advice

Jenny

Australia

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help with newspaper photo

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this is my first post in the forum. I have an old scanned newspaper of my Grandfather when he was in the Army WW2. Its the only photo we have of him.

I am hoping to make it clearer for the family? Is this possible to do?

I am very new to Photoshop and still learning I am happy to do it if I can get some easy to read instructions.

Thank you for any advice

Jenny

Australia

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .png you posted is mighty small. Do you have any larger versions, or better, do you still have the newspaper?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have the newspaper thats all I have I might see if I can find the Newspaper online?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenny. I wonder when the scan was made because I have a hunch this image is not the result of a print from a scan unless the scan was made decades after the newspaper was printed and that may mean the newspaper is still around someplace. 

Rather I suspect the newspaper image was photographed with 35mm black & white film (note the proportions, tone and sprocket holes) and this is a print from that negative. 

Does a negative exist?

Is the newspaper edition in the publisher's archives?

How large is the print you have?

If your photograph is a contact print from that negative we have one set of limitations.

Have you tried to scan your print at a very high resolution?

If your print is much larger that would be a help.

What would be a satisfactory final image size? 

Your answers to these questions will guide us in making recommendations. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norman I am going to see if I can find the actual newspapwer article but I think it will still be a small image?

My dad may have a larger image in his album I will have a look and see if he has.

Thank you I will let you know what I find

Jenny

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are the newspaper image is larger. After you check with your dad, please remember to answer ALL the questions in my previous post.  Thanks. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My father has this photo which is from a scan done many years ago. There are no negatives and having no luck with the newspaper article yet but still looking.I took a photo of it with my Nikon D3500

DSC_0443.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does a negative exist? no

Is the newspaper edition in the publisher's archives? still looking

How large is the print you have? 6 x 4 copy

If your photograph is a contact print from that negative we have one set of limitations.

Have you tried to scan your print at a very high resolution? not as yet

If your print is much larger that would be a help.

What would be a satisfactory final image size? Was hoping for about an A4 or bit smaller?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenny. That’s a tremendous improvement!

I still think that you should follow up with the folks at the newspaper because the image you sent has no evidence of halftone reproduction. The result is that all middletone values have been lost and the image is a modified line reproduction. Still, I like this interpretation of the photograph as is and would only modify the light flat tone. I hope you like it, as well.

(To tell the truth, at about the time that photograph was probably taken, I had one taken in my navy uniform. In the seventy-plus years since that time mine disappeared. You are lucky to have this treasure.)

Back to the business at hand:

Your dad’s print of your granddad is 6x4 and the size you are hoping to produce is A4, which is close to our 8x10. That means your image would be about 6-5/8x10 without cropping. When it is scanned I would recommend a res of at least 600 ppi and preferably twice that.

If scanning is not a possibility, a shot with your camera would be your other choice. The photograph you posted is almost evenly lit. Good. If you know someone who has a flat-field macro for your Nikon – designed to photograph flat art – that would be a help. Do not shoot at the extremes of your f/stop options.  When you reshoot, turn the camera to portrait orientation and centered over the art. Promise me you will use a tripod this time and a level to confirm that the art and the camera are on parallel planes so you won’t have to fiddle with Edit >Transform later. Good luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Jenr58 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norman yes I will keep researching the newspaper as well. Thank you for all your advice I will definitely be doing what you mentioned.

Thanks again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0