Help with Photoshopncrashing during saving (versions 21.5 - current, Windows 10)

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has already destroyed my deadline and hopefully one of you helpful folks will know the solution -- seems I've tried everything I can easily find. BTW, I've seen numerous reports of this issue starting around PS 2020, across Windows and Mac. The problem is that the program crashes upon saving. In newer versions, it crashes so severly that only a full system restart can kill Photoshop. I now have both 2020 and 2021 installed and this error is replicated on both versions.  

So steps to replicate this bug/error.

1. Open Photoshop.

2. Start new document

3. Initiate the save with with either ctrl-S or through the menu, the result is the same.

At this point, a new window with the standard OS loading text (Working on it... -- see attached image) is dispayed. It freezes at this point, the program completely unresponsive and your drive/fans runs loud as though performing a complex task. Photoshop must be restarted by either task manager or by restarting the system. This doesn't always happen, but it does 95% of the time, most reliably  on large, new documents, though occasionally older documents are affected.

As said in the start, I've found and tried numerous remedies both here and across the web, Some things I've tried:

1. Restarting

2. Updating installing installation.

3. Rolling back installation (to 2020 thus far)

4. Changing 3d settings so PS will use only integrated graphics on my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti)

5. Ticked and unticked (initially as I found the solutions and later, as each one failed) various permutations of PS preferences - turning off 'background saving', turning on 'legacy compositing', turning off use 'graphics processor'. 

6. Reset preferences entirely.

Has anyone else successfully dealt with this stubbonrn bug? Any help is more than welcome as this has seriously impacted my workflow. It's clearly not only myself, as several 'solutions' for this bug appear across the internet -- and I still have yet to find any solution that work for me.

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of drive are you saving to - internal, external, network, SSD, HDD? How is it formatted, exFAT or NTFS?

What type of files are you saving - PSD, TIFF, with or without compression, jpeg?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internal, HDD, NTFS. Doesn't matter what I'm saving to, the action of starting to save causes this to happen. I am attempting to save in PSD but it doesn't even get that far -- as soon as the save window is up, the program freezes and stops responding to any user input.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines