Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High cpu and memory usage CEF helper windows while closed

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm having a problem with the cpu and memory usage CEF helper has. It takes up so much while i'm not even using it. I saw Mac owners had problems with this but didn't see anyone with windows having this issue. Does somebody know why it behaves like this? and what to do to fix it?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue actually. I installed Photoshop 2020 today, and I'm on Windows 10. I found 4 instances of Adobe CEF running. (I can get it down to 3). It randomly spikes my CPU usage even while I have no adobe programs in use, and has spiked it to 100% couple of times.

While running, Photoshop 2020 has capped out my CPU usage three times in one day of use, crashing the program and losing my work. 

If anyone has any solution, please let us know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Windows 10 64bit user same issue, my CPU show up to 4 instances running, Creative Clud Sync turned off, tried running lasted Photoshop but my GPU is too old so I reverted, now CPU with nothing other than MS Edge browser open and this one tab for Adobe, my Taks Manager reports spiking of Memory usage by CEF Helper up to 99% and stiitng around 18-24% constantly. Power Useage Very High Memory USage Very High - to Moderate.

When there is no Adobe programs running and sync turned off this is unaccetable, my computer is crawling. It goes away if I force quit all the CEF Helper processes, but that can't be good.

In Task Manager if I go to Details tab and right click on Adobe Desktop services to analyse eait chain, there always seem to be at leat 4 processes waiting to complete "Network I/O" can't end task by selecting them they never change always PID 4824 and various/different threads, they never seem to complete I/O network calls, maybe this is where the helper program is getting hung up?  (I'm not a programmer or IT guy I was just poking around). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with 16gb ram 1tb ssd 2020 macbook pro. 500 mb ram and its draining even with everything closed.  hope adobe read this so we can solve this, the helper is more of a virus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Windows based computer and the only thing on it so far is Lightroom Classic/photoshop (not even e-mail yet).  Creative Cloud eats 100% of my memeory frequently and has crashed my computer a few times.  This is unacceptable and should be easy for an Adobe programmer to fix.  Simply have the program not run anything at all when the program hasn't been opened.  It should be very, very easy and fast to fix...  unless it's intentional.  These days you just never know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Happening all the time, and no matter how many times i try to end task it doesnt work. About to uninstall photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I have got Adobe CC installed, but while I am not actively using any Adobe software, the CEF Helper takes up 100 % CPU from time to time. The fans start spinning and my computer slows down. Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue, but mine does not appear to be spiking that heavily. It's just using 6-10% CPU all the time (in the background) on multiple PCs for no apparent reason. I removed all Adobe apps and reinstalled, with the same result. When I uninstalled all Adobe apps except the CC app, it was still present, running between 6-10% CPU at all times, never quite allowing my laptop or its cooling fan to idle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i too am having a smilar issue, none of the adobe apps running but using up majority of RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select Preferences-
  2. Under General, uncheck the 'Launch Creative Cloud at login' option and select DONE-
  3. Thanks. Kanika Sehgal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked a treat thankyou!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony5DEE

It works beautifully.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for what is probably an obvious answer, but where is preferences located for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your creative cloud app, on top

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked immediately. Crazy that little option fixed it! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, turned it off (after someone else told me WHERE preferences are... kinda, sorta) but what are we giving up by turning it off? If we are losing very little by doing this then why does Adobe make it the default? Surely they knew the resource strangulation would be unpopular. Is it possible they did not know about the resources issue before launch?When Adobe went all cloudy on me I kept my legacy Photoshop, Bridge and Acrobat and only got clouded (or let my PC get clouded) when I had to get an Acrobat upgrade which has me yearning for my old Acrobat 9 Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So... where are preferences? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines