Highlighted

Histogram and Gradient Fill layer issues

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I still having two annoying problems:

The first occurs when I add a curve or level adjustment layer the histogram in the properties evaluates the whole image. If I make a selection and copy it to a new layer (below the curves) obviously the histogram in the curves properties remains the same. But if I convert the curves to a clipping layer affecting only the small copy, the histogram remains the same too!! I assume that the normal behavior would be the histogram showing the clipping information.

The other problem is: if I add a GRADIENT FILL LAYER (not a gradient map or simple gradient applied with the gradient tool). I´m able (at this point) to move the position of the gradient by clicking and dragging in the canvas. But if I access to the Gradient Editor, don´t matter if I do some edition or not, I´m unable to move the gradient again. Must to do an additonal step: click OK and then double click the thumbnail of the Gradient Fill layer to be able to move again the gradient.

I would appreciate any suggestion or if you tell me please if I'm misunderstanding something please.

I made a little video (1:25 min) showing these issues, I would appreciate if you can see it.

https://youtu.be/nvJu4EKBMmM

Thanks for watching the video. I apologize for my bad English.
TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Histogram and Gradient Fill layer issues

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I still having two annoying problems:

The first occurs when I add a curve or level adjustment layer the histogram in the properties evaluates the whole image. If I make a selection and copy it to a new layer (below the curves) obviously the histogram in the curves properties remains the same. But if I convert the curves to a clipping layer affecting only the small copy, the histogram remains the same too!! I assume that the normal behavior would be the histogram showing the clipping information.

The other problem is: if I add a GRADIENT FILL LAYER (not a gradient map or simple gradient applied with the gradient tool). I´m able (at this point) to move the position of the gradient by clicking and dragging in the canvas. But if I access to the Gradient Editor, don´t matter if I do some edition or not, I´m unable to move the gradient again. Must to do an additonal step: click OK and then double click the thumbnail of the Gradient Fill layer to be able to move again the gradient.

I would appreciate any suggestion or if you tell me please if I'm misunderstanding something please.

I made a little video (1:25 min) showing these issues, I would appreciate if you can see it.

https://youtu.be/nvJu4EKBMmM

Thanks for watching the video. I apologize for my bad English.
TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The histogram in curves doesn't ever seem to change on adjustments. I suggest watching the actual Histogram panel to live view the changes. As for the Gradient fill, when you click the gradient editor, the program thinks that's what you want to adjust, so it doesn't give you interactivity on the image, itself. It would be nice if we could do both - and I'd suggest adding that as a feature request at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family
I'd upvote that one, when i see it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S_Gans

Thank you for your response. Both features (Curves and Levels histogram changes -when the layer is a clipping mask; and the ability to move Gradient Fill after click the editor) they were in PS 2019. That is why I find it very strange that PS 2020 has lost them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should request enhanced features to solve this issues…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear your pain and second my firneds in the forum. I was going to answer the same thing that @s_Gans did.....

Stay tune to wondertful stuff in October 2020!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to be so insistent but they were features that were in PS 2019. That is why it seems very strange that PS 2020 has lost them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 20.0.10 SHOWING THE NORMAL BEHAVIOR

I would appreciate if you could see the video (1.23 min) showing normal behavior on PS 20.0.10. Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/wxd36j1x_KA

PS20.0.10 Normal behavior of the Histogram in Curves (or levels) Layers when make it clipping mask; and normal behavior of the Gradient Fill Layer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0