Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horizontal Scrolling Problem

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have a Photoshop CC 2015. Currently I am using the Logitech's MX Master, with a wheel specifically for horizontal scrolling.

But this does not seem to work in the Windows Version of Photoshop. I have tested the exact same function(horizontal scroll) on the Photoshop of my mac, and it worked out absolutely fine - just like vertical scrolling.

For the windows though, when I try to scroll horizontally,at first it immediately scroll all the way to the far left of the horizontal bar. After that, the horizontal scroll will have no effect and simply stuck at the very end.

Of course, I can use my mouse to control the horizontal bar, but it will be much more convenient if Photoshop can support a wheel specifically for horizontal scrolling.

So in a nutshell what I am looking for is a way to use my horizontal scrolling wheel in Photoshop.

Thanks again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

If the device provides the OS event for horizontal scrolling, then it should work.

Photoshop is just looking for the OS event, same as for vertical scrolling.

And I've seen it work with other input devices -- so my guess is a Logitech driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a preference reset will help:

Win: Press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift immediately after initiating Photoshop's startup. A box will appear asking if you want to continue with the reset, select "yes." If you don't see this, you weren't fast enough...Try again.

Mac: Press and hold Cmd+Opt+Shift and start Photoshop. A box will appear, asking if you want to continue with the reset, select "yes."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I tried the preference reset and had no goal.

It just maintain the same situation - Once I horizontal scroll it immediately goes to the far left.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your system, Photoshop, GPU drivers (and any other drivers) are up to date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

All of my drivers are always up to date.

Have you tried to use a horizontal wheel on photoshop? Does it work for others? Or it is just me having this problem?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I do not have a horizontal wheel, so I'm trying to get the most common causes out of the way. Anyone else have a horizontal wheel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recorded a video to demonstrate the error.

Error Demonstration - YouTube

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried holding Ctrl and using the vertical scroll wheel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding ctrl and use vertical wheel does work as usual.

But I just really wanted to get the horizontal wheel to work.

Do you think there's a way to disable ctrl+vertical wheel function? Maybe that will allow me to use the horizontal wheel.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some Googling and really haven't come up with much.

Chris Cox‌, are horizontal scroll wheels compatible with Photoshop CC 2015?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the device provides the OS event for horizontal scrolling, then it should work.

Photoshop is just looking for the OS event, same as for vertical scrolling.

And I've seen it work with other input devices -- so my guess is a Logitech driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Chris!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answering Chris.

Not sure of you watch the video I posted before, but the horizontal wheel works perfectly fine with order software such as Excel or Google chrome.

So I am really not sure if I understand exactly what you mean about the OS event thingy.

And by the way, someone also commented on my video saying that they are suffering from the same issue, so maybe it ain't just me experiencing this.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logitech says.. "it works in every other app, just not Photoshop, so it's a Photoshop issue".. Maybe the two companies (Logitech & Adobe) could actually talk to each other and work this out??  Pretty good bet a lot of Adobe customers are Logitech customers as well and this issue affects customer satisfaction with both products.  I know it's really not in software vendor DNA to actually work together, but maybe an exception in this case would be nice??

To others having this issue, please +1 this.. maybe we'll get some attention:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, not the issue here. It happens to be an issue that is present for all side scrolling in Adobe apps with Logitech mice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Astrotheque, in Adobe Acrobat X Pro documents DO scroll horizontall with my Logitech MX Master 3 mouse's thumb wheel.

Acrobat also knows how to zoom to cursor location, which PSE forgot how to do in 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the solution with a Logitech mouse. The issue is with the Adobe software not being compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Performance MX does the same, but I'd never think to use it for horizontal scrolling.  Better to hit the Space bar and Pan, or hold down the H key and move the current zoom window to anywhere you want on the image.  If I absolutely wanted to use the mouse only for moving around the screen, I'd do something like this.  Set the thumb switch to Keystroke and Space bar.  Then you could move around by pressing the thumb switch following by left click and drag.  It works, but feels super clunky compared to using the space bar normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I get what you are trying to do there, but one of the most important reasons for buying the MX Master is of it's horizontal wheel.

It would have been quite a waste if I can't use it in PS.

But thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have the same mouse, use the same software suite and have not met with that problem. Actually, the default Logitech Options configuration assigns vertical scrolling to the main wheel and horizontal scrolling to the thumb wheel. The problem I have is that I want to assign Zoom to the thumb wheel, but Photoshop can't assign functions to more than one wheel. If you pick zoom for the wheel in Preferences, both wheels do the same. Anyone know any work around for this??? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same mouse and the same issue.

Works fine in Illustrator, Excel, Chrome, etc.. But in Photoshop, horizontal scroll on the Master MX bugs out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I found a solution on the Logitech Forums.

Just create an app specific profile for Photoshop in the Logitech Options (top right), and set the thumb wheel to Zoom in/out. I also have 'Zoom with Scroll Wheel' unchecked in Photoshop preferences ('Tools' tab). I've always used Alt + Scroll to zoom anyway.

Voila! Horizontal scrolling in Photoshop!

Here is the thread:

Horizontal wheel of MX Master not work in Photosho... - Logitech Forums

If anyone stumbles upon this thread, I found out a solution:

In Logitech Options, create application specific profile for Photoshop.

Then set thumb wheel scroll to Zoom in/out and now you will side scroll with the thumb wheel in PS!!!

I found this out by mistake as the horizontal scroll setting didn't work, I wanted the wheel to zoom in and out but instead of that it scrolls horizontally Smiley Happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this solution!

Works as well in Lightroom (CC): just switch to zoom in/out instead horizontal scroll for the thumb wheel. I had the same problem with missing horizontal scrool in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can with mx master wireless which already have button for horizontal scrolling but you need change preference

horizontal scrolling activated by default for the side wheel

choose photoshop and change the setting to : zoom in/out and it will work fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for documenting this. This is not just a Logitech mouse problem. I have the same issue with the Precision Touchpad on my Surface Pro 4. Same exact behavior: trying to horizontal scroll with my fingers on the touchpad at all just jams the image all the way on the left, unable to recover.

So it seems to me this is some strange Photoshop behavior.

If all that needs to happen is the device send the proper OS-level command, one wonders why on earth Microsoft's own precision touchpad wouldn't send the proper OS command to Microsoft's own Windows OS...

Are there any actual solutions to this?

Oddly, if I assign 'zoom in / out' to the thumb wheel on the Logitech MX mouse in Logitech's software, then I get horizontal scrolling in Photoshop.

?

As a 10+ Mac user, the number of bugs I find on a daily basis when using the Windows OS even on Microsoft's own Surface Pro 4 device is depressing. The fact remains that I just rarely have such basic issues when using a Mac.

Thanks,
Rishi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines