• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I keep objects from resizing when replacing contents?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I relink or use the "Replace Contents" command on an object, it reverts to its original size instead of remaining scaled to a larger size.

When I tried relinking, I used Layer > Smart Object > Relink to File. I also tried Layer > Smart Object > Replace Contents.

These images are not part of a mask of any kind. Other than scaling, nothing has been done to them.

Is there any way to relink or change contents without rescaling? It would be very useful to be able to pull in images with all transformations intact.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

From the help files:

Replace the contents of a Smart Object

You can replace the image data in one Smart Object or multiple linked instances. This feature lets you quickly update a visual design, or replace low-resolution placeholder images with final versions.

Note:

When you replace a Smart Object, any scaling, warping, or effects that you applied to the first Smart Object are maintained.

• Select the Smart Object, and choose Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents.

• Navigate to the file you want to u

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

I realise this post is old but I wanted to add my solution if it helps anyone.  I'm no expert but I've had the same issue with smart objects resizing when I replace the contents and I've just found out why. I have been opening up my replacement object in Photoshop, converting to a smart object, resizing to match the dimensions of my original smart object and then exporting contents to a .psb file. When I go to replace contents of the original smart object with my new .psb file it annoyingly resi

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Again, this might be coming a little late, but if you tried all of the above and it still didn't work just check the resolution of the file you're placing. 
I had this same exact behaviour. And then i realized the image i was trying to place was at 300dpi while the original was at 72. So... even thought they both had the same size it shrunk when replaced.

Hope this helps someone! 
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the help files:

Replace the contents of a Smart Object

You can replace the image data in one Smart Object or multiple linked instances. This feature lets you quickly update a visual design, or replace low-resolution placeholder images with final versions.

Note:

When you replace a Smart Object, any scaling, warping, or effects that you applied to the first Smart Object are maintained.

• Select the Smart Object, and choose Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents.

• Navigate to the file you want to use, and click Place.

• Click OK.

The new content is placed in the Smart Object.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but this is exactly what I've been doing and it hasn't been working (see my question).

For instance, when I try to Replace Contents on a client's logo, the logo resizes to a smaller version. The scaling transformation is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that the original image files have not been modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let's use the logo as an example. You said the original files haven't been modified - so you have a logo - with no transformations, no resizing, you replace with another logo and it comes in smaller...

So the new logo is just smaller. If they files aren't exactly the same size, they are going to come in differently. This is true even if you apply transformations.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well. I was hoping I could transform the logo and keep the settings when I eventually need to link to another file. 😕

If I understand correctly, if I edit the original logo file to the correct size it will come in at that size, but still not take any other transformations.

Thanks!

I'm thinking I would have been better off designing the 3-foot-by-5-foot signs in InDesign, but I figured the production company would want Photoshop files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  Mine actually WAS working where the images would import and be formatted to same size as the original image I was replacing but now they are coming in bigger.  I guess I must have changed a setting because now the images being imported are too big and are not conforming to the size of the original image.  I have even tried redoing this with files that were successful before but they have now changed and are too big.  I believe there must be a setting that will allow for this, but I don't know what it is!  I wish I could figure out what happened!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a setting!

Go to Preferences > General and disable Resize Image during Place.

I was having the same issue and I have researched and read some pretty uninformed answers - but your comment cindyg1716645 about a setting got me thinking - you are right!

Well done in making the suggestion so I can help find an answer for you (and me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this question was properly answered.

In order to have a smart object maintain the scaled size when you replace it with new content, you must place the ORIGINAL object using File > Place Linked. If you introduce the original file to your artboard any other way ... like dragging it over & converting it to a smart object, then the 'Relink to File' and 'Replace Contents' commands won't work as you would expect. It'll replace the object, sure, but it will maintain the size of the object you're replacing with rather than maintaining the scaling effects you've applied to the orignal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Unfortunately, that is also not true - I just tried it - File > Place Linked (Ai smart object) - then replace content or relink to file - link to different Ai smart object (bigger dimensions object) - object appears bigger on PSD artboard (doesn't maintain dimensions of previously placed smaller object). I don't hink there is a way of solving this in current PS version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, no. Replacement object DOES NOT pick-up attributes of replaced object. Not in CC anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise this post is old but I wanted to add my solution if it helps anyone.  I'm no expert but I've had the same issue with smart objects resizing when I replace the contents and I've just found out why. I have been opening up my replacement object in Photoshop, converting to a smart object, resizing to match the dimensions of my original smart object and then exporting contents to a .psb file. When I go to replace contents of the original smart object with my new .psb file it annoyingly resizes. I have the resize box unticked in Preferences I hasten to add. BUT.... I have just discovered that if I double click inside the ORIGINAL Smart Object thumbnail to open it up in a separate document, the dimensions are totally different to the dimensions it shows from the transform panel in my original document.  So, using the newly found dimensions, I apply these to my new replacement smart object before exporting and now when I replace, it is the correct size!  Like I say, I'm self-taught so am certainly no expert but I'm just happy I've figured out a way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This last response by RedFox6 was PERFECT. Double-clicking for that separate PSD file was the ONLY thing that prevented resizing when replacing a file. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other way around this I have found is to use the new Frame tool to size it where is needs to be and drop the new file into it.
I have multiple artboards in PS with the background image at different sizes and this seems to be an easy way to update it whilst keeping the dimensions.

Hope this helps someone because this was super annoying to have to resize every time I was updating the image to the high-res version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i worked this out, if you are using smart objects make sure the layer you are replacing is a background layer with the padlock icon shown. This seems to lock the scaling if you replace the file. If your file is not keeping the same transform settings when you replace it with a new one go into the smart object, click your layer, go to Layer > New > Background From Layer. This fixed the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ignore me this only worked sometimes... not always

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this might be coming a little late, but if you tried all of the above and it still didn't work just check the resolution of the file you're placing. 
I had this same exact behaviour. And then i realized the image i was trying to place was at 300dpi while the original was at 72. So... even thought they both had the same size it shrunk when replaced.

Hope this helps someone! 
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I know this thread is old, but I figured out what I was doing wrong.  I'm creating a tempate for my girlfriends candles to easily produce product photos with different labels, and I was having this exact issue.  It's important NOT to resize your image unitl after you've made it a smart object.  I was dragging and dropping the image, resizing it as that's the very first thing you do, and then turning it into a smart object.  This would cause the image to resize when replacing contents.  You should drag and drop your image and just hit enter without resizing.  Then convert to a smart object and apply free transform to resize to your needs.  Then you can just right click on the layer and pick replace contents, and it should keep the size you've applied.  Doing it in this order solved my issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly same issues i have been facing. I need help with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check the file to be replaced to ensure that it has the same Resolution Pixel Per Inch as the one that is already placed. Double click on the Smart Object layer to edit it and verify the Resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines