• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I remove a transparent background from a TIF created in Photoshop with external tools

Explorer ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I created a TIF in Photoshop with a transparent background (Dropbox - test.tif ).

Now my problem is that any other 3rd party tool (e.g ImageMagick, Gimp, ...) can't see this transparent and in consequence I can not remove this transparent background either.

Is the transparency in Photoshop generated TIF files so special?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

That specific tag is covered here in the TIFFphotoshop.pdf

https://www.adobe.io/open/standards/TIFF.html

Other resources:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photoshop/fileformatashtml/PhotoshopFileFormats.htm#50577413_pgfId-1039502

https://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/imagesourcedata.html

Seems that tag has to do with layer data, so removing it might flatten the tiff file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the problem in other applications is they don't support layers in tiff files, thus your seeing flattened version of the tiff.

Most non adobe applications don't support layers in the tiff file format and just so you know adobe owns the tiff file format.

If you were to save the same file as a psd, then Gimp, for example, would show the transparency.

Also. while gimp recognizes photoshop's layer groups it doesn't recognize shape layers so they would have to rasterized in photoshop and then saved as a psd.

However, you should simplify your layer structure as much as possible, so other applications can open the file as you see in photoshop. For example, with your image, just one layer containing both rasterized shapes and no groups/artboards would be best. Also, pngs would probably give max compatibility with other applications.

In Gimp you can get back the transparency in the Test.tif by using Colors>Color to Alpha to remove the white background.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-colortoalpha.html

In Gimp 2.10 one needs to add an Alpha Channel first before using Color to Alpha.

Right click on the Layer thumbnail and click Add Alpha Channel.

Just to add that if in photoshop one adds an Alpha channel from the selection of the transparency and saves the image as a TIFF that many applications will then open the TIFF with transparency.

gimp 2.8 and older

g1.png

gimp 2.10

g210.png

Your test.tif saved as a psd with the shape layers rasterized and open in Gimp.

g2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, one caveat: didn't Adobe sumit the TIFF format to the ISO for standardization?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i believe your right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the solution.

The solution which works for me is to remove the profile "tiff:37724".

Is there somewhere a list of special adobe profiles like this one?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That specific tag is covered here in the TIFFphotoshop.pdf

https://www.adobe.io/open/standards/TIFF.html

Other resources:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photoshop/fileformatashtml/PhotoshopFileFormats.htm#50577413_pgfId-...

https://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/imagesourcedata.html

Seems that tag has to do with layer data, so removing it might flatten the tiff file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

thank you for the quick answer. Do you know a way to do that with ImageMagick?
My Problem is, that I get an Image like the example above and can only use ImageMagick (because of automation).

I only want to replace the transparent background with a white background and save it back as tif.

In a short way:

1. Receive Photoshop transparent TIF from sender
  2. Transform TIF with ImageMagick => Replace transparent background with white background
  3. Return changed TIF to sender
  4. Sender opens changed TIF with Photoshop again => now the TIF has a white background

Kind Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i'm not that familiar with ImageMagick, but wouldn't it make more sense anyway to use photoshop, since the image originated from photoshop and you would not have to worry whether your software will read the file properly or not.

Photoshop can batch process folders of images if you need automation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

Pls I also have a jpeg file which I opened on photoshop, only to find the gray and white box lines around the main image. I'm finding it hard to remove the box lines (transparency) from the image and make it plain white instead. When I use the move tool to drag the image on photoshop, the box lines follow it around. Pls how do I get rid this from photoshop?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victory,

Can you post some screenshots of what your seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I'm making use of Windows 10. That's the image which I want to remove it's transparency, pls advice, and for other images that I may want to do the same. Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have saved it as jpeg and PNG from Photoshop CS6 but it still has the gray and white box lines as it is shown in this image. I also tried the image trimming solution on photoshop but it didn't take the transparency away. What else can I do? Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff, I have found this useful video that helped me with my image.

https://youtu.be/-FIYgibZazY

In this video, it explains how to use a quick selection to select the checkered box lines, making a selection around the image and delete it. It worked perfect for me, if anyone is still stuck with this same issue, he can use this method. Watch till the end. Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines