Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I turn off the auto update/save feature of smartobjects? 360

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day to you!,

I am working on big files. These are photo montages in 360. So I need to work with smart objects.

But because of the large resolution needed in 360, I work with these large files. And the convent auto update feature is becoming a pain.

Every few minutes It has to update the .psb file and this takes again minutes, and I would rather manual commit to the changes. Which I have to do anyway, when I'm ready to view the changes on the 360 view.  So the problem is that I have periods in between save sessions to work in which I have to save manually as well.

Anybody know  how to fix this?

Tnx!

Gerwald

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix what?

To me at least your description seems unclear; are you talking about embedded SO, linked SO, ,are there multiple instances of the SOs, which files are open, why do they update, …?

Or do you mean Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Automatically Save Recovery Information Every … Minutes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tnx Pfaffenbichler,

Yes it is complex, good that you asked.

It is not the autosave function of Photoshop in general, good thinking, I checked It is at every 10 minutes, so no problem there.

I you use the 3d option "make spherical panorama from selected layer" It creates a smart object, so it is the embedded one.

Why do they update indeed! Its seems to me that it constantly does this, but it gets obvious above a certain file size/complexity.

My montage is now 1.5 gig 6000x3000 px, and you absolutely need a high resolution for 360 (because it wraps around and zooms in when you only see apart of the image and in fullhd)

And for me it is not a matter of filsize It is about the possibility for turning of a function..

Tnx Again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"photo montages in 360" What do you mean by that? A sherical Panorams from what image?

Seems to create a 3d Layer not a Smart object layer

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack,

Thanks for testing, indeed you are right...

It is for me a standard move to turn it into a smart object... I forgot to mention.

https://www.facebook.com/gerwaldradsma.art/posts/2324519524492432

This is the finished work I was busy today,

And www.ambivalent.center is another 

So a multitude of layers which creates a new image. In this case a landscape.

Thanks

Gerwald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No! You have to press on the spherical map underneath the layer to open the smart object, so it was standard.

1) open image

2) go to 3d, "make spherical panorama from selected layer"

3) klik on spherical map below the background layer underneath textures and diffuse. You can see it in your screenshot

4) it opens a smart object

5) make changes and save

Tnx again, sorry for the confusion

Good night

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The texture spherical map is like a smart object layer  it can contains layers.  However, If any of the layers are smart object layer, In the spherical document you will not be able to merge other layers into into the 3d layer.  The whole idea for me about 3d Spherical panorama is to be able to patch the Spherical panorama areas that are severely distorted by rotating the areas in 3d space so the area is not distorted and I can patch the areas. IMO using Smart object layer in a spherical panorama is not appropriate.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack,

Thanks for the input, you are describing a use case of how to use the program, and I understand that this is the mindset in which Adobe has developed it. However other than stitching directly onto the 3d layer, you can open the spherical map, and work on the Equirectangular image. Not only you can work on it, you can stamp images from the first document to the embedded second document through merge layer.  And so you can use Photoshop in the way that is known for all, with layers and adjustment layers and masks...

This request however is not about the acceptance of my methods, it is however a behavior of the program itself to force update/save the second document so very often when it is not needed, plus the slowness I experience in the workflow makes the whole process very tiresome.

So I am looking for a way to turn it of.  And do it manually, also because I have to do it manually anyway. With or without autosave. For my use case it is redundant.

Thank you!

Gerwald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue as you. I find it mind boggeling that no one understand what you mean and try to tech you how to work with photoshp. so to all others (and hopfully some adobe dev/moderator who reads this) please don't teach us how to work with photoshop. I have the EXACT same issue.

I open the 3d layer smart object of the panorama (also merged layers from main panormam file) and every nudge I make I have to wait for the SO to update. why do I need this? I will save the SO manually anyway when I am done. When you work on 20,000x10,000px panorma every little auto update like that means to wait about a minute. when this happens every 2 minutes or so this is very tedious and bad workflow.

Do no one in Adobe work with their own sofgtware and QA the workflow they invent?
Stop telling us we do something wrong we just want to turn off the Auto update for smart objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Do no one in Adobe work with their own sofgtware and QA the workflow they invent?"

No-one in Adobe is involved in this thread. This forum is answered by volunteer Photoshop users. We do not work for Adobe and therefore we cannot comment on what developers do, or do not do.

You can raise bug reports/feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines