• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do change the default "Save As" from PSD to JPG?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a while back, Photoshop was offering to save my files as JPEGs as default.  But now it defaults to saving as a PSD file, and I am having some difficulty figuring out how to make it save as a JPG file instead.

Adobe Photoshop 5.1

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  Have been super annoyed by the lack of helpful answers.  I DID, however, notice that the CROP tool is likely to blame in my circumstance.  I was so frustrated because I have decades of experience with Photoshop. Opening a JPG file, cropping and adjusting it, creating NO new layers, should default save as JPG.  But mine was asking every time to save as PSD. I just noticed after reading a few of these replies that my crop tool is creating a layer by default, thus eliminating JPG as a natural default.  Looking into my crop tool now.  I've never seen the crop tool do this by default before. That's why I didn't even check whether my image was layered, having always made the decision to deliberately make layers before. I hope I can figure out how to get the crop tool to knock it off. It may be the answer for some others with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I think I may have solved it.  I selected the crop tool and couldn't see any preferences pertaining to layers within the tool so I hit "clear" to clear any wacky settings I may have unintentionally made.  Seems to have stopped the new layer-making. Good luck, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note, resetting the crop tool does not clear the delete cropped pixels checkbox, it has to be done manually:

delete-cropped.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stephen, that's really helpful and relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify my previous post, the default is set to delete cropped pixels as active, which is what is required with regards to this topic thread... My point was that resetting the tool will make this active, which may not be the desired behaviour for those wishing to retain cropped pixels.

Whether it is the crop tool or any other tool, it always pays to check that the settings are appropriate for the current use, not just what was appropriate last time the tool was used or the default reset starting point etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bonniet77866959  wrote

Have been super annoyed by the lack of helpful answers.

Instead of blaming Photoshop, or responders here, you should concentrate on finding out what the actual cause is.

It's not just layers. Jpeg is an extremely limited format, and basically anything you do to a file in an advanced image editor will rule out jpeg as an inadmissible format. It's a long list.

If you need to blame somebody or something, then blame the jpeg specification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You make it sound like my whole post is a rant, blaming Photoshop and responders. My dissatisfaction with the responses was exactly because I WAS focused on finding the cause and many of the responses had no answer, just as your reply has no answer - only a know-it-all comment telling me my own troubleshooting isn't good enough. So touchy. Thanks for your enhanced criticism of my mild criticism in a moment of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, BTW, it WAS the layers. My problem is fixed, and that may help someone.  Telling them it could be a laundry list of issues isn't quite as helpful, is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, bad phrasing on my part. I'm not trying to argue.

But you're still missing my larger point: when you save to jpeg, you implicitly accept a large number of limitations. That goes with the file format and has nothing to do with Photoshop.

My second point was that it's impossible for anyone here to know exactly which property of your file is outside the jpeg specification. We don't have the file. We can only guess, but our guess is no better than yours, really. We simply can't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Guys, I have a question if you don't mind . . . .  Once I've completed editing a picture, I select "Save As" and give it a different name from the original. When I open the original file to perform a different edit, the file opens in Camera Raw as the "Save As" file. How can I prevent this ? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines