• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add grain to a black and white photo to age it

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Novice here.  I have a black and white photo that I want to add some graininess to so that it looks like a picture from the 60s.  How can I add a layer of graininess?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filter>Noise>Add Noise

Granted there are other ways too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you insert it into your post so we can see it? It might depend on the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ellisalbum base.jpg

Here's the jpg copy.  Looking to age this b&w. Also how could I add a ring to simulate a worn LP album cover.  Thanks for your input. Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many methods and filters in Photoshop, however, I normally use one of the options in the following action:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rmz0b6c7a40h7y/Smart%20Noise%20CS3.atn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will also recommend to you to convert layer with image to Smart Object because you can later change grain settings without any penalty. Especially at the beginning you will need to practice and experiment and SO layers are forgiving any mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use Camera Raw and apply grain there. There is a bit more control than the grain filter in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll second that.  Camera RAW > Effects > Grain does a really nice grain effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Camera Raw and liked the look and the flexibility.   I want to add a large circle to simulate the wear on an LP album cover.  How do I make a circle and feather it to give a worn look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Camera Raw and liked the look and the flexibility. I want to add a large circle to simulate the wear on an LP album cover. How do I make a circle and feather it to give a worn look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the worn look, make open the image as an object from ACR. then duplicate it by right clicking on the layer in the layer panel, and select smart object via copy. This will allow you to change the ACR setting for each layer independently. Then you can edit one to have more grain. Apply a mask to thT layer to apply the grain or worn areas where you want them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree with all that there are, as always with Photoshop, many roads which can lead to the same destination. Another way is to experiment with texture overlays, as I've done below. The main thing to remember is ALWAYS keep one untouched original copy in case you make an irreversible mistake or change your mind.

Below is one (low-res) version. You can find all kinds of free textures by googling. This one is stone, but there are different paper and other textures as well.

aa-ellisalbum-base.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines