Highlighted

How do I: create a shape, select only that shape, fill only that shape with a gradient?

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created triangles on a background image. I used a new layer.

When I try to add a gradient to that image by using "blending options" the shape disappears. 

When I press G I get "Could not use the gradient tool because the smart object is not directly editable. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bojan Živković | Adobe Community Professional

After activating Pen tool take a look at Options bar with settings for tool. You can set Shape from the first drop down list what will instruct Photoshop to create new shape layer in the Layers panel when you start drawing.

drawing mode.jpg

For fill use second drop down list Fill. Click on rectangle to appear fly out menu where you can choose Gradient for fill method and appropriate gradient fill for your shape. You can change fill type or gradient and after drawing shape from the Options bar or Properties panel with shape layer selected.

gradient fill for shape layer.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I: create a shape, select only that shape, fill only that shape with a gradient?

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created triangles on a background image. I used a new layer.

When I try to add a gradient to that image by using "blending options" the shape disappears. 

When I press G I get "Could not use the gradient tool because the smart object is not directly editable. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bojan Živković | Adobe Community Professional

After activating Pen tool take a look at Options bar with settings for tool. You can set Shape from the first drop down list what will instruct Photoshop to create new shape layer in the Layers panel when you start drawing.

drawing mode.jpg

For fill use second drop down list Fill. Click on rectangle to appear fly out menu where you can choose Gradient for fill method and appropriate gradient fill for your shape. You can change fill type or gradient and after drawing shape from the Options bar or Properties panel with shape layer selected.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I've used the pen tool to create my shape. 

It doesn't seem to recognise it as an independent object...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drawing mode.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 1