• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete Adobe's printer profiles?

Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a current answer to this question for Mac OS 11. I just set up a new computer, and Adobe "helpfully" installed scores of completely-useless-to-me profiles (various camera types, etc) that  I have to scroll through, in order to get to the handful that I actually use. I need to get these things off my system (or, at the very least, group them together at the bottom of the list, somehow) in order to not have my workflow grind to a halt, having to scroll through all of this stuff I did not want or ask for. Please help!

They are not in the ColorSync folder in LIbrary, btw. I've looked everywhere

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Deleting the profiles from /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/MPProfiles got rid of almost all the extra profiles! I always save removed profiles in a backup folder, in case there is trouble of some sort later... but everything works fine right now.  Thanks again for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't install 'printer profiles' per se (there are some generic CMYK profiles). 

What profiles (provide names) are you asking about? 

ALL profiles should be seen in the ColorSync utility. Even those burried deep in a package as some printer manufacturers like Epson provide. 

Camera profiles are a different beast (they are not ICC profiles and don't show up in the CS utility). 

ACR needs them. ACR would show them IF you have a raw that's being viewed otherwise, the other camera profiles, which are tiny, do not show. 

So in order to help, more specifics from you are needed .

FWIW, The location for .dcp camera profiles should be:
Mac: /Users/user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles
Win: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the ones with "by Adobe" on the end. There are a ton more.
--
-------------------------------------------------
*Nate Seubert - Printing Technologist*
-------------------------------------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nateStatic wrote:
All the ones with "by Adobe" on the end. There are a ton more.

Screen capture or specific names necessary.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.05.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.05.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.05.48 PM.png

None of these were present on our old computer. We just started using a 2020Retina 5k iMac, OS 11.2.3. Installed the Adobe suite, have a bunch of useless-to-us profiles that clutter up the printer profile dropdown menu in the print dialog box. We use our own custom profiles, so don't need others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of those profiles are on my system. There is no MPProfiles folder. I have no idea what installed them, I'm not ready to 'blame' Adobe. 

Conrad is correct, at least in the past versions of PS on some Mac OSs: the Epson profiles appear on a line above the rest in the Print dialog box is because Photoshop detects that they are part of a printer driver installation on that computer. When you select the print driver in that area of the Print dialog. It doesn't work for me any longer under Big Sur.

But the solution is easy: do a search for one of the profiles, find the path/folder, delete them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I know about those ARRI etc. profiles is that they seem to refer to digital cinema cameras and formats. So I am wondering, Andrew, have you installed any of the Adobe DVA (digital video/audio) applications like Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, etc? How about you @nateStatic?

If it turns out that nateStatic and I both installed Adobe video/audio applications and thedigitaldog did not, then that would mean those digital cinema related profiles appear only for users who install those DVA apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, not on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you…that supports my theory that those profiles are installed only when the user has installed one of those Adobe digital video/audio applications. That means they probably don’t show up if a user installed only print/web applications, for example.

I will probably submit a bug report to Adobe, though…because there is no reason those Adobe digital video profiles should be showing up in a print menu in Photoshop. Photoshop should be filtering them out, because they do not show up in the Print dialog boxes in InDesign, Illustrator, or Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Someone put after effects on the machine... I guess that might be where they came from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nateStatic wrote:

I need a current answer to this question for Mac OS 11. I just set up a new computer

Big question: How old was your old computer?

The reason that is a big question is that Apple, not Adobe, added tons of new profiles starting a couple of major versions ago of macOS. Many of the new profiles Apple added have to do with color spaces for pro video editing.

To narrow this down, what are the names of some of the new profiles you don’t need?

@nateStatic wrote:

They are not in the ColorSync folder in LIbrary, btw. I've looked everywhere

“Everywhere” is a lot of places now; there are several paths where profiles can be stored. Can you find the mystery profiles in Apple ColorSync Utility, Profiles tab, Grouped by Location? It can reveal the path location of every profile that you see in a standard ICC profile menu in a standard Mac application.

ColorSync Utility Profiles Grouped by Location.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the camera-branded ones do not come up on any of the tabs... System, Computer, User, Other... not there. The ones I am looking for, but can not find, are: Kodak, Fuji, and ARRI. There are 10+ profiles of each... it makes for a lot of scrolling through things I do not need, since we've already got a list of 20-ish custom profiles that we do use. At the very least, I wish there was a way to group profiles in the print menu. EPSON profiles (which I've removed, because we don't use them) do seem to group themselves together, separated by a horizontal rule, in the list. Is there a way I can at least achieve that, for the profiles that I do use? having them appear at the top of the list would be even better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I think I found the mystery profiles. First, I realized that I have also seen those Arri etc. profiles in Photoshop, and that they do not appear in ColorSync Utility. Going by what I know from the next subject (after the dashed line below), and because they do not show up in ColorSync Utility, I theorized that the profiles could be in a central location for Adobe only, which would be under /Library (root, not user). I dug around in 

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

and found the profiles here:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/MPProfiles

Adobe-MPProfiles.jpg

That folder has restricted permissions because it is within a system location, not within a user account, but you could try changing or overriding permissions if you wanted to try to rip out those profiles.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Regarding how to organize profiles in the Print dialog: The following is my sense of it, it might need to be confirmed by someone like @TheDigitalDog…but the reason the Epson profiles appear on a line above the rest in the Print dialog box is because Photoshop detects that they are part of a printer driver installation on that computer. Because the profile menu can include both manufacturer’s profiles and user-added profiles that are all for the same Epson printer model, but only the manufacturer’s profiles appear above the line. From testing, I believe that the profiles that appear above the line are not in any of the usual ColorSync folder locations, but deep in an installed printer driver package. For example, the following profile appears above the line in my copy of Photoshop:

/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/Pro3880.profiles/Contents/Resources/Epson Stylus Pro 3880_3885_3890 ArchivalMattePaper.icc

That’s inside a macOS printer driver package, not a regular folder.

I have not tried shoe-horning user-supplied profiles into such a package to see if that would put them above the line. It may not work if macOS security restrictions prevent hacking packages in /Library, which is root level, not user level. But it is something you could look into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the profiles from /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/MPProfiles got rid of almost all the extra profiles! I always save removed profiles in a backup folder, in case there is trouble of some sort later... but everything works fine right now.  Thanks again for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that it worked!

Just be aware that changes made to files outside the user account might be reversed by a future Adobe update, like if the Adobe installer notices they’re missing and decides to “repair” the installation. So you might have to delete the profiles again in the future, but hopefully not for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more tip, in case it turns out to be impractical to alter the profile menu: When a menu is open, you can use keyboard shortcuts to skip over large parts of the menu. For example, if a long profile menu is open and I want to go straight to my Hahnemuhle Fine Art paper profiles, I type “HFA” (the first few letters of the profile names) and the menu scrolls directly to that and selects the first one.

I also often use the Page Up/Page Down, Home, and End keys in long menus. Like if I want to select a font or profile that I know is near the end of a menu, I press the End key to go right there and save myself a lot of scrolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the info! It's a shame with all the customizing they allow that adobe hasn't figured out a way to let users customize the profiles list. Oh, well... I gues most users don't have as many to choose from as someone in a print shop 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines