• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable the Save As Copy box when saving as a PDF in Photoshop 2020?

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving a PDF from Photoshop CC 2020, the "Save a Copy" box is automatically checked off in the Save Window. Prior to CC 2020 I could save over an existing PDF file without generating a copy each time without the "Save a Copy" box being checked, how do I disable it?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Hi there,

That does not sound good, could you please let us know the operating system you're working with?
At my end I am ablt to check or uncheck the Save as a Copy box as shown below:
Screenshot_16.jpg

Have you tried resetting the preferences of Photoshop and see if that helps? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean I am NOT seeing were to go in preference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you guys are still having this issue for PNGs, try quick saving it as a png.  File > Export > Quick export as PNG. That, for me, seems to override the original file instead of making a copy of it. 

I have no idea on why Adobe changed this feature making it impossible to uncheck the copy box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, try quick "exporting" it, not quick "saving" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 22.4.2 version of photoshop has a modified Save As feature and now the "Save as Copy" box is no longer a thing when saving PDFs!

You have the option of going back to the way it has been for the last 18ish months in Edit>Preferences>Filing Handling and then checking the "Enable Legacy Save As"

If you want to save the file as anything other than a Photoshop, Large Document Format, TIFF or PDF you have to use Save As Copy instead of Save As, but you have the option to check the "Do Not append copy.." so that "copy" isn't automatically applied to the end of the file name when you are saving it in another format.

I am very happy with the changes and options Adobe has made and created. I think it gives users the ability to choose what works best for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody found a fix for this insanely annoying issue yet? 

When I choose to save as a .jpg or .png, the "save as copy" box get checked, and greyed out, so that I can't change it, and the file name keeps the .psd, despite being saved as an image.

The result is that a photoshop doc named Example.psd, becomes a jpg or png with the awkward file name Example copy.psd

What's worse, is that websites don't recognize it as an image file (even if I remove the .psd suffic.) I've been unable to upload these images anywhere; there is always some kind of error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this will address your issue, but if you are in the most recent version of photoshop they have added some additional options for the "Save As" and "Save As Copy" features. If you go to Edit>Preferences>File Handling. You will see some check box options. "Do Not Append "copy" to file name when saving a copy" may be what you are looking for. I have this unchecked in my preferences.

There is also a "Enable Legacy Save As". I personally like the new "Save As" feature as it means I can save pdfs without unchecking a "Save As Copy" box. Basically you have some options in those preferences that you could experiment with and see what works best for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there. 
After selecting "Enable Legacy Save As" and the "Do not append copy to filename", I still see the "As a copy" checked and grayed out when I Save As. Just below it says "File must be saved as a copy with this selection". No matter what format I choose I get the same error unless I choose a format that my file is currently in. 
I have no idea why Adobe added this as a copy nonsense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines