• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I enable a GROUP of tool presets? Creating an action causes an error.

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create two styles of art: a soft style requiring tools with anti-aliasing turned on, and a pixelated style requiring tools with anti-aliasing turned off. The selection tools are particularly frustrating when they are on the wrong setting, as once you close the selection there's no going back; changing the aliasing setting does not have an effect on the current selection.

I attempted to solve this issue by creating two presets for each of the relevant tools: one with anti-aliasing turned on, and one with it turned off. I would like to be able to quickly swap between these two "groups" of tool presets.

I tried creating actions that go through each of the tools and change to the correct presets, but when I try to run said actions they produce a string of errors: "The command 'Select' is not currently available." This has something to do with the fact that for most tools, there's no action step for simply selecting the tool (there's no "Select Magic Wand", for example). Without the tool being selected, Photoshop seems unable to change the preset. The only exception is the Brush Tool-- which does have an action step when you select it-- and that is the only tool on which the action has an effect (the brush tool successfully changes to the correct preset... regardless of whether the preset is saved as a Tool Preset or Brush, btw).

Not solutions:

- "Loading" a group of presets only brings them into Photoshop; it does not enable them.

- Going through each tool and manually selecting the correct preset is just as cumbersome as going through all the tools and just changing the aliasing setting.

Perhaps I am going about this in the wrong way. Is there an easier way to enable a group of presets? Or perhaps a setting to enable/disable anti-aliasing across the board? 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Open Tool Presets panel and untick in left bottom corner Current Tool Only checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you need to record loading Tool Preset Group, then selecting the individual tool preset itself and put each tool preset selection into it's own action set like these examples i did for photoshop elements 2.

Screenshot-(58).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response! I will keep note of this in case I need it later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Tool Presets panel and untick in left bottom corner Current Tool Only checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked. The action now runs through without errors, successfully changing all the presets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines